Presenter ‘09 offers a nice way for you to help learners connect with your narrator or presenter, by featuring that person’s photo, bio, and other info in the sidebar. This is helpful, because people like people—and one of the inconvenient truths of e-learning is that when we move away from classroom-based instruction, we lose some of the human element that many learners crave.
So instead of having a nameless, faceless narrator, consider how you can leverage the presenter panel in your course. If your presenter's someone your audience recognizes or respects, this can really heighten your presentation's street cred—but don't underestimate the power of even a fictional presenter! Just adding a human form—or even a cartoon character!—can make your program feel more natural, more inviting, less sterile.
If you've also included a logo panel in your player, the presenter panel appears right below it. our presentation can feature one presenter for your entire course, or different presenters for different slides—it's up to you.
Note: If you prefer something more dynamic than a static image and bio, you can instead opt to show a video in your presenter panel. That involves some different steps than what you see here in this tutorial. Check out this tutorial for more info.
Step 1: Add Your Presenter's Info to the Library
First you need to add your presenter's info to the presenter library. Once you do that, you can feature that person in any presentation you create. Here's what to do:
- From the Articulate menu, select Presentation Options.
- Click Presenters. Your presenter library appears.
- Click Add. Then enter the presenter's name, and any other info you'd like your users to see. (You can leave some details out if you want — any fields you leave blank won't appear in your player.)
- To include a photo of the presenter, click Browse. Find the image you'd like to use and click Open.
Note: The photo area of the presenter panel is 73 x 85 pixels, so you'll get the best results if you use an image with those dimensions. If your photo's dimensions are different, you can:
- Mark Maintain aspect ratio to keep the original proportions. (If you choose this, in your published output you'll see some gray space around the edges of your photo where it doesn't completely fill the photo area.) Or...
- Mark Stretch to fit if you want Presenter to expand your image to fill the whole 73x85 photo area. Click OK.
- If you plan on featuring different presenters for different slides, you can add the other presenters in the same way. In a minute we'll look at how to assign presenters to specific slides.
Step 2: Turn on the Presenter Panel in Your Player Template
Next, make sure your template is set to display the presenter panel:
- From the Articulate menu, choose Player Templates.
- Click the Layout tab.In the Sidebar area, mark Presenter panel.
- Click Close.
Step 3: Using Different Presenters for Different Slides? Adjust Your Slide Properties
You can skip this step if you only want one presenter's info to appear in the presenter panel throughout your whole presentation. If you want to feature different people for different parts of your presentation, here's what to do:
- From the Articulate menu, select Slide Properties.
- Click in the Presenter column for any slide. Choose a presenter from the dropdown list. (Leave the field blank for any slides where you don't want a presenter panel to appear.)
- Click OK.
- Keep assigning presenters to any other slides you wish.
Step 4: Select Your Presenter(s) When Publishing
Only one thing left to do: specify your presenter info when you publish your presentation! Here's how:
- From the Articulate menu, choose Publish.
- Select one of the publishing options on the left edge of the window (Web, Articulate Online, LMS, etc.).
- Use the Presenter selector choose the presenter you want to use:
- If you assigned different presenters to different slides in your Slide Properties, choose Use slide-level presenters. Or...
- If you want to feature just one presenter, select the one presenter whom you want to appear throughout your presentation.
- Click Publish.
Presenter Didn't Appear? Check Your View Mode
Since the presenter panel is part of your player's sidebar, it'll only appear in your published output if you've enabled the presentation to display in Standard View (this is the view mode that shows the sidebar). You can learn more about view modes and how to choose them here.