Presenter ‘09 and Quizmaker ‘09 make a great team. By using the two together, you can incorporate your quiz or survey right into your presentation — seamlessly. There are a couple different ways to do it, depending on how you want your users to be able to get to your quiz or survey. Here we'll look at both ways.
#1: Insert Your Quiz as a Slide in Your Presentation
One approach is to add your quiz or survey right in line with the other slides in your presentation. When you do this, Presenter creates a placeholder slide in your PowerPoint file, and that's where your quiz lives. You can move that placeholder slide to a different place in your presentation, you can branch to it from other slides, and you can even hyperlink to it.
When you publish your presentation, your quiz or survey gets published right along with it, and anytime a user arrives at the placeholder slide, the quiz launches.
Here's an example of how the placeholder slide looks once you place it in your PowerPoint file — as you can see, there are some options at the bottom of the placeholder, which you can use to edit certain quiz properties right from Presenter, any time:
#2: Insert a Quiz as a Tab on Your Player
Another way to incorporate a quiz or survey in your presentation is to include it as a tab on your player. The tab appears on the upper-right edge of your player, as long as learners are viewing your course in Standard View or No Sidebar View. (Learn more about view modes.) Users can click the tab to access your quiz or survey anytime while viewing your presentation.
Here's an example of what a quiz tab looks like once you publish:
Here's How to Insert Your Quiz or Survey
The steps for both options are pretty similar. Here's what to do:
- Open your presentation in PowerPoint, and from the Articulate menu, select Quizmaker Quiz from the Insert section.
- To insert your quiz as a slide in your presentation, click the Quizmaker Quizzes tab. Or, to insert it as a tab in your player interface, click Player Tabs.
- Now click one of the following, depending on your situation:
- Create New: Click this if you haven't yet built your quiz or survey. Quizmaker opens, and you can build and save your quiz. When you're done, click Save & Return to Presenter from the Quizmaker toolbar.
- Add Existing: Click this if you've already built your quiz or survey. Then navigate to your .quiz file and click Open.
- Next, set your Quiz Properties:
- When user passes... and When user fails... : These are great tools for branching learners to different places, depending on how they do on your quiz. For example, you might want to branch them to some slides with remedial help if they don't pass — or challenge them with additional content if they do pass. You can even direct them to a URL if you want. Some developers also use this feature on the front end of their e-learning course as a kind of pretest or diagnostic tool, to determine which sections of the course the user should complete.
- Allow user to leave quiz: This determines whether you'll allow users to jump to a different part of your presentation before they've finished the quiz or survey.
- User may view slides after quiz: This determines whether users can jump ahead in the presentation before they've attempted or passed the quiz.
- User may attempt quiz: Here you can specify how many times the user can take the quiz, in case they don't pass the first time. If you give them more than one try, and if they don’t pass the first time, they’ll see a Retry button at the end.
- Once you've set your options, just click Close to finish. (If you chose to add your quiz or survey as a slide within your presentation, you can now move it to any spot within your presentation.)
How Do I Remove a Quiz from My Presentation?
If your plans change and you need to remove a quiz or survey from your presentation, it's easy to do:
- With your presentation open in PowerPoint, click Quizmaker Quiz on the Articulate menu.
- If your quiz was inserted as a slide within your presentation, select Quizmaker Quizzes. If it was inserted as a tab, select Player Tabs.
- Select the quiz you want to delete and click Remove.