Enhance your courses with videos from any of three sources: video files, websites, and webcams. We'll take a look at each method below.
Adding a Video from a File
Note: Videos will be automatically synchronized with the slide and controlled by the timeline. To add an interactive SWF file that plays independently of the slide and isn't controlled by the timeline, insert it as a Flash movie instead.
Here’s how to insert a video from a file:
- Do either of the following:
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon, click the Video drop-down arrow, and choose Video from File.
- If you're in Form View for a question slide, you can also go to the Home tab on the ribbon, click the Media drop-down arrow, and choose Video from File.
- Browse to the video you want to use and click Open. These file formats are natively supported in Articulate Storyline:
Tip: If your video placeholder is hard to see (it could appear as a white, black, or transparent rectangle in Storyline), right-click it and choose Set Poster Frame. Then browse for an image file to use as the video placeholder.
Note: As of May 2015, Google no longer allows YouTube videos to be embedded in this manner; however, YouTube videos in existing courses will continue to work. You can still add YouTube videos to new projects as web objects, which are supported in Flash, HTML5, and Articulate Mobile Player output.
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon, click the Video drop-down arrow, and select Video from Website.
- Copy the video embed code from the hosting website, and paste it into the Insert Video from Website box.
- Click Insert.
You can even record video directly from your webcam. Here’s how:
- Go to the Insert tab on the ribbon, click the Video drop-down arrow, and select Record Webcam.
- Before you begin recording, click Show device settings to choose the webcam and microphone you want to use (if you have more than one) and to set the video size. Specify the following:
- Use the Video Device drop-down list to select the webcam you want to use.
- Click the Advanced hyperlink to fine-tune your webcam properties.
- Use the Video Size drop-down list to select the dimensions for your video.
- Use the Audio Device drop-down list to select the microphone you want to use.
- Click the red Record button to begin recording.
- When you've finished recording your video, click the Stop button.
- If you'd like to preview your recording before inserting it into your project, click the Play button.
- To redo your recording, click the X to delete the current recording, then click the Record button to start over.
- When you're ready to insert the recording into your project, click OK.