Engage ‘09 includes an easy way to publish your e-learning content for local use—such as if you need to deploy your interaction from a CD or a standalone computer.
Keep in mind that the process we cover in this tutorial is for standalone interactions. If you instead want to incorporate your interaction into a course you’ve built in Presenter, you’d want to publish your interaction to Presenter, and then publish the entire course from Presenter to CD.
Here’s how to publish a standalone Engage interaction for CD:
- Open your interaction in Articulate Engage.
- On the Engage toolbar, choose Publish.
- Select CD from the publish options on the left edge of the window.
- Under Publish Location, use the Folder field to indicate the place on your computer where you want Engage to generate your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Engage will create a new folder in that spot, with all the files you need to play your interaction.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer. Publishing to a network can cause problems with your published output. After you publish your interaction on your computer, you can burn it to CD or move it to some other local destination.
- Check the following Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Items: This just displays the number of items in your interaction. You can't change the info here; if you need to add or remove items, just click Cancel to go back and edit your interaction.
- Quality: The recommended setting here is Optimize for CD-ROM delivery. If some other setting is shown, click the link to change it.
- Color Scheme: This is the color scheme you've applied to your interaction. Click the link if you want to switch to a different color scheme or make any other last-minute adjustments to the colors and effects used in your interaction. (More about color schemes.)
- Playback mode: This indicates how users will be able to move through your interaction. To change the playback mode, just click the link. (More about playback modes.)
- Click Publish.
That's all there is to it! Engage creates your published interaction in the folder you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see this pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Interaction: This launches your interaction so you can take a look at your output.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This might be helpful if you need to share your interaction with an SME or other reviewer, or if you need to send it to someone who will place it in the location from which it’ll be deployed.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials and transfer your output to your website. This probably isn’t something you’d need or want to do, though, since your output has been optimized for local deployment instead of online deployment.
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the folder you specified on the Publish window.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Engage just created. There will be several folders and files (all of which are necessary for your interaction to play). The file that launches your interaction is called Launch_Interaction.exe. There’s also an autorun file, which causes your interaction to launch automatically if learners insert a CD containing your published output.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, you can burn the files to CD or copy them to whatever local destination from which you plan to deploy your course.