Engage ‘09 offers a publishing option specifically for people who deploy their interactions via a learning management system.
Keep in mind that the process we cover in this tutorial is for standalone interactions. If you instead want to incorporate your interaction into a course you’ve built in Presenter, you’d want to publish your interaction to Presenter, and then publish the entire course from Presenter to LMS.
Here's how to publish a standalone Engage interaction for your LMS:
- Open your interaction in Articulate Engage.
- On the Engage toolbar, choose Publish.
- Select LMS from the left edge of the window.
- Under Publish Location, use the Folder field to indicate the place on your computer where you want Engage to generate your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Engage will create a new folder in the spot you choose, with all the files needed to play your interaction.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer (not to a network or shared drive). Publishing to a network can cause problems with your published output. After you publish your interaction to your computer, you can upload it to your LMS and test it.
- Check the following Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Items: This just displays the number of items in your interaction. You can't change the info here; if you need to add or remove items, just click Cancel to go back and edit your interaction.
- Quality: Since you're publishing for online delivery via your LMS, you can leave this as Optimize for Web delivery.
- Color Scheme: This is the color scheme you've applied to your interaction. Click the link if you want to switch to a different color scheme or make any other last-minute adjustments to the colors and effects used in your interaction. (More about color schemes.)
- Playback Mode: This indicates how users will be able to move through your interaction. To change the playback mode, just click the link. (More about playback modes.)
- Next, use the LMS dropdown to choose the standard to which you'd like to publish (ask your LMS administrator if you're not sure which option to pick):
- Click the Reporting and Tracking button.
- When the reporting and tracking options appear, fill in the fields marked in the picture below. (The fields will be slightly different, depending on which LMS standard you chose earlier.) Ask your LMS administrator if you're not sure how to complete these fields.
- Under LMS Reporting, use the selector labeled Report status to LMS as to choose the wording you’d like to use when reporting on your learners’ progress and status with regard to this interaction.
- Under Tracking, choose how many items your learner needs to view, in order to be considered as having successfully completed the interaction.
- Click OK, then Publish.
You’re done! Engage creates your published interaction in the folder you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see this pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Interaction: This launches your interaction in your web browser so you can take a look at your output. If you want to test your published interaction, though, it’s best not to do it this way. Since your published output was created specifically for use with an LMS, you should instead upload your output to your LMS and test it from there, to make sure it behaves as expected in the environment where you plan to use it.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This might be helpful if your LMS administrator will upload your interaction for you, and you need to send him or her the published output for upload.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials to transfer your output to a website (which isn’t something you’d typically do if you’ve published for LMS).
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the folder you specified on the Publish window. For LMS users, this is the most common choice, because it allows you to easily upload your entire zipped interaction to your LMS.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Engage just created. There will be several folders and files, all of which are needed to play your interaction. If your LMS requires that you identify a single launch file once you’ve uploaded your content, the file to point to is index_lms.html.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, it's time to upload your content to your learning management system. The steps for this are different for each LMS. Ask your LMS administrator if you need help with the specifics of uploading, launching, or tracking your interaction.