So you've built a really cool interaction in Engage’09, and it works great as a standalone bit of e-learning. But what if decide you want to bake your interaction into a presentation you've created with Presenter? It's easy to do—Engage and Presenter work great together.
There are a couple different ways to add your interaction to a presentation:
- You can publish from Engage directly into your presentation (which is what we'll look at in this tutorial), or...
- You can open your presentation in PowerPoint and insert the interaction via the Articulate menu. (See how to do that here.)
Either option gets you the same result. Publishing from Engage to Presenter, using the steps below is a convenient route if you've already got Engage open.
How to Publish to Presenter
- From the Engage menu, select Publish.
- Select Articulate Presenter from the publish options on the left edge of the window.
- If any PowerPoint files are already open, they'll appear in the window. If the presentation to which you want to publish is listed, select it. If not, use the ellipsis button (...) to browse for it and open it.
- Under the Insert Interaction As options, specify how you'd like to insert your interaction:
- Insert as a slide: If you choose this option, Presenter will create a placeholder slide within your PowerPoint presentation, and your interaction will be housed there. Here's an example of what a placeholder slide for a Glossary interaction looks like:
- You'll be able to edit the interaction properties right from within Presenter any time by clicking the options at the bottom of the placeholder slide. Later when you publish your presentation from Presenter, your interaction will be included in the output. When a user views your published output and arrives on that slide, the interaction will launch right within the slide
- Insert as a tab: If you choose this option, Presenter will include the interaction as a drop-down tab on the upper edge of your course player. The tab's accessible to the user anytime while they're viewing your presentation, except where you've applied Slide Only as the view mode. (Learn more about view modes.) Here's a peek at where the tab's located in the player interface:
- Check the publishing Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Items: This just indicates what's in your interaction. You can't change the info here; to do that you'd need to click Cancel and modify your interaction.
- Quality: If users will view your project via the internet or an intranet, choose Optimize for Web delivery. If users will view the output from a CD or local source (such as the hard drive of a PC or a shared drive), choose Optimize for CD-ROM delivery.
- Color Scheme: This indicates the color scheme applied to your interaction. Click the link if you want to make any last-minute adjustments to the color scheme, or if you want to switch to a different color scheme. (Learn more about color schemes.)
- Playback mode: Click to change the way users progress through the interaction. (Learn more about playback modes.)
- Click Publish.
That's all there is to it! Engage publishes your interaction to the presentation you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see a pop-up like this one:
Now you can switch over to your PowerPoint file, where you can view or adjust the interaction properties that control how the interaction behaves within your course.