Engage ‘09 gives you an easy way to publish and upload your Engage interactions to Articulate Online, all in one step. Keep in mind that the process we cover in this tutorial is for standalone interactions only. If you instead want to incorporate your interaction into a course you’ve built in Presenter, you’d want to publish your interaction to Presenter, and then publish the entire course from Presenter to Articulate Online.
Here’s how to publish and upload a standalone Engage interaction to Articulate Online:
- Open your interaction in Articulate Engage.
- On the Engage toolbar, choose Publish.
- Select Articulate Online from the left edge of the window.
- The Title defaults to the interaction title you’ve already entered in your interaction when you created it. If you change the title here, it’ll change in the Engage authoring tool also. This will be the title users see in the title bar when they launch your published interaction.
- Enter a Description if you like. If you enter a description, it’ll appear in Articulate Online along with the title when you’re managing your content. It’ll also appear to users who access your content through Articulate Online’s user portal, if you choose to enable that. (You can learn more about the user portal and other options for giving users access to your content in this tutorial.)
- Check the publishing Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Items: This just displays the number of items in your interaction. You can't change the info here; if you need to add or remove items, just click Cancel to go back and edit your interaction.
- Quality: Since you're publishing for the web, you can leave this as Optimize for Web delivery.
- Color Scheme: This is the color scheme you've applied to your interaction. Click the link if you want to switch to a different color scheme or make any other last-minute adjustments to the colors and effects used in your interaction. (More about color schemes.)
- Playback Mode: This indicates how users will be able to move through your interaction. To change the playback mode, just click the link. (More about playback modes.)
- Click Reporting and Tracking. A window appears where you can set your preferences for how you want Articulate Online to report on your users’ status with regard to this interaction. For report status, choose one of the four options from the dropdown selector. The option you choose determines the language shown on reports when Articulate Online displays whether learners have successfully completed your interaction or not.
- For Minimum number of items, choose how many items the learner needs to view in order to be considered as having successfully completed the interaction.
- Click OK.
- Next, enter your credentials. In the Account Information section, type your Account URL, your E-mail address, and your Password. (You’ll need to be an administrator or publisher on your account in order to publish content.) If you want Engage to remember your password for the next time you publish, you can mark Save my password.
- Click Publish.
Your interaction publishes and uploads to Articulate Online all at once. How fast this happens depends on the size of your interaction and your internet speed.
When the Publish Successful window appears, click Manage Content to open Articulate Online and manage the interaction you just uploaded.
If a firewall blocks you from publishing directly to Articulate Online, you can publish your interaction on your local computer and then manually upload it to Articulate Online. See this user guide for details.
Articulate Online has a maximum size limit of 500 MB per project. If you think you might be approaching that limit but aren't sure, here's how to check: publish the interaction on your local computer (see the link above) and then check the file size of the Engage package that's generated.