Articulate Engage offers an easy way to publish your e-learning content for local use. You'll want to use this option if you need to deploy your interaction on a CD, DVD, or standalone computer (kiosk). (If you need to incorporate your interaction into an Articulate Presenter course, click here.)
Step 1: Enter Title, Description, and Folder Location
- On the Engage ribbon, click the Publish button. (Or, click the small triangle under the Preview button and select Publish.)
- When the Publish window appears, select CD.
- Check the text that appears in the Title field, and customize it if you'd like. This text defaults to the type of interaction you're building. If you change it, it'll update the title text that Engage uses in the following places (but it won't change your actual file name):
- The folder that Engage creates to contain your published output. For example, if the Title field contains the words MSDS Interaction, Engage creates a new folder on your hard drive called MSDS Interaction—Engage output when you publish.
- The browser title bar when learners view your published interaction in a browser window.
- The top bar of your interaction player if you've opted to include the title as one of the player features.
- The ellipsis button (...) beside the Title field lets you open an additional window where you can enter optional project information. This information is only used if you later republish your interaction for the web and your learners view the interaction on an iPad with the Articulate Mobile Player app. For more details on how this additional project info is used, see Publishing a Standalone Interaction for Web
- the Description field, you can enter descriptive text about your interaction. (When you publish for CD or other local source, any text you enter here won't be visible to your learners, but it'll be saved as part of your project and you'll be able to see and edit it here if you later return to the Publish window. The description is visible to learners if you republish for a different destination, such as the Web, Articulate Online, or LMS.
- In the Folder field, indicate the place on your computer where you want Engage to create your published output. Click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Engage will create a new folder in that spot with all the files needed to play your interaction.
- Important! Always publish to your local hard drive. Publishing to a network drive or a USB drive can create problems with your published output. After you publish your interaction to a local folder, you can burn it to a CD or DVD or move it to some other local destination.
Step 2: Check Player Properties and Quality Settings
The Properties section of the Publish window allows you to make last-minute changes to your interaction player and the compression settings Engage uses when publishing.
- The Player field shows the name of the player that Engage will use when you publish. (The player is the interface that users see when they view your interaction.) Click the player name to make final adjustments to your player or switch to a different player. If you need help choosing your player settings, see Customizing the Engage Player.
- The Quality field lets you control the compression settings Engage uses for the audio, video, and pictures you've added to your interaction. The settings here default to whatever you used the last time you published an Engage project. To change the quality settings, click the blue text and change any of the fields as noted below; then click OK.
- Choose Standard if you want to use the default settings. If you mark this option, the values on the window revert back to their defaults (video quality of 5, audio bitrate of 48kbps, and image quality of 80%).
- Choose Custom to define your own quality settings. Then click and drag the slider on any of the three values to change the compression. Using higher values gives you higher-quality output but also larger file sizes (which means longer download times). Lower values give you smaller file sizes and faster download times, but the visual and audio quality will be lower.
- The Theme Colors field shows the colors you've applied to your interaction. Click the link to switch to a different theme or make last-minute adjustments to the colors and effects in your interaction. (More about theme colors.)
- The Playback Mode field lets you control how learners navigate through your published interaction. To change the playback mode, click the blue text and select any of the following options:
- Choose Interactive to give learners the freedom to view steps in any order. If you mark this option, you can also mark the box to Show preview/next buttons to provide navigation buttons in the lower right corner of the player. Unmark this box to exclude previous and next buttons.
- Choose Linear if you want learners to view all the steps in order.
- Choose Presentation if you want the interaction to advance by itself. If you choose this option, learners won't be able to interact with your published output (i.e., they won't be able to jump to different steps in the interaction, rewind videos, or launch hyperlinks). When you choose presentation mode, you can also control the default duration for steps that don't contain any audio or video by typing the desired number of seconds into the field provided.
- Some interaction types also include Segment Order options. Use these options to specify where the interaction should start and in which direction the segments should proceed.
Step 3: Publish
When you're finished making changes to the options on the Publish window, click the Publish button.
Engage creates your published output in the location you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see the following Publish Successful dialog.
- View Interaction: This launches your interaction so you can view your output.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This makes it easy to share your interaction with a subject matter expert (SME) or reviewers, or to send the interaction to someone who will place it in the location from which it'll be deployed.
- FTP: This opens a window where you can enter your FTP credentials and transfer your output to your website. This probably isn't something you'd need or want to do, since you've chosen to publish for CD, which optimizes your content for local deployment instead of online deployment.
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the location you specified on the Publish window.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Engage just created. There will be several folders and files, and the file that launches your interaction is called Launch_Interaction.exe. There’s also an autorun file, which causes your presentation to launch automatically if learners insert a CD or DVD containing your published output.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, you can burn the files to a CD or DVD, or you can copy them to any destination for deployment.
- Note: If you burn your interaction to a DVD, it must be played in a computer DVD drive. It won't function in a DVD player on a TV.