Presenter ‘09 enables you to import multiple audio files all at once, or individual files one at a time, if you’ve decided to record narration outside of Presenter. Here we’ll look at how to import a batch of audio files for any group of consecutive slides in your presentation.
Stuff You Should Know Beforehand
- Is there a best file format? Yes. If you're going to import audio, you'll get the best results with WAV files. Specifically, Articulate recommends 16-bit 44Khz PCM WAV files.
- What about MP3s? Many MP3s will work, but you might end up with klugey audio quality when you publish your presentation. This is because during publishing, the files are converted from a lossy (MP3) format to a lossless (WAV) format, and then back to a lossy format. Also, keep in mind that Flash doesn't always play nicely with certain MP3s. Be sure your files' settings are supported — otherwise, when you publish, your audio might seem too fast or too slow.
- What if all I have are non-supported MP3s? Don't worry—you can use Audacity to convert them to WAV for free.
- How should I organize my audio files? Put them in a local folder (not on a network, since importing from a network drive can sometimes be problematic). Also, avoid using folder names or paths with spaces or non-Western characters. These sometimes bungle the import.
How to Import
- Open your presentation in PowerPoint. On the Articulate menu, choose Import Audio.
- Select the first slide in the series of slides for which you want to import audio. (For example, if you want to import audio for slides 3 through 5, click on slide 3.)
- Click Browse.
- Go to your folder of audio files. Click and drag (or use Shift-Click or Ctrl-Click) to select the files you want to import.
- Click Open.
- Now you can adjust the import order if you want. Presenter lists your slides in order, along with the audio files you just chose. Click the buttons on the right edge if you’d like to change which files go with which slides, or if you want to remove any of the audio files from the import list.
- Click OK.
- When you return to the Import Audio window, click OK again.