Presenter ‘09 offers a publishing option specifically for people who deploy their courses via a learning management system. If your organization or client uses an LMS, then this option is for you. Here are the steps you’ll need to know:
- From the Articulate menu, select Publish.
- Select LMS from the publish options on the left edge of the window.
- Under Publish Location, use the Folder field to indicate the place on your computer where you want Presenter to generate your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Presenter will create a new folder in that spot, with all the files needed to deploy your presentation.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer. Publishing to a network or shared drive can create problems with your published output. After you publish your presentation on your computer, you'll be able to upload it to your LMS to test it.
- Now check the following Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Published title: The title defaults to the name of your PowerPoint file, but you can change it by typing something else here. Presenter uses this for the title bar of your course player. Presenter also uses this title for the name of the folder it creates on your hard drive for your published output.
- Player template: This is the template Presenter uses when publishing. The player template determines the look and functionality of your presentation player. If the template you want to use isn't selected here, use the drop-down to pick a different one. You can also make any last-minute adjustments to your template by clicking the ellipses (...) button. (More about templates)
- Logo: This is the logo that'll appear in the sidebar of your player. You can select from the logos in the drop-down (or choose None selected if you don't want a logo). If the logo you want isn't in the drop-down, it just means you haven't added it to the logo library yet — you can do that by clicking the ellipsis (...) button. Keep in mind that if you choose a logo here, it'll only appear in your output if you've turned on the logo panel in your template and enabled Standard View. (More about logos and More about view modes)
- Presenter: This is the person whose info appears in the presenter panel of your sidebar. You can pick a presenter from the list, or you can choose None selected if you don't want to feature a presenter. Choose Use slide-level presenters if you specified multiple presenters in your Slide Properties when you built your presentation. If the presenter you want isn't in the list, click the ellipsis button (...) to add them. Note that your player's presenter panel (like the logo panel), is part of the sidebar, so it'll appear only if it's enabled on your template and you've enabled Standard View. (More about presenters and More about view modes)
- Next, use the LMS drop-down to choose the standard to which you'd like to publish (ask your LMS administrator if you're not sure which option to pick):
- Click the Reporting and Tracking button.
- When the reporting options appear, fill in your course information (again, ask your LMS administrator if you need help). The fields you see on this window will be slightly different, depending on which LMS standard you chose earlier.
- Under LMS Reporting, use the selector labeled Report status to LMS as to choose the language you’d like to use when reporting on your learners’ progress and status with regard to this course.
- Now click the Tracking tab and choose one of the following options:
- Track using number of slides viewed: With this option, your LMS will determine learners’ completion and status by whether or not they complete the minimum number of slides you specify. Use the selector to choose a number.
- Track using quiz results: With this option, your LMS will determine learners’ completion and status by their quiz performance. This option is only available if you’ve added a quiz or survey to your course. If you’ve added multiple quizzes or surveys, you’ll also need to choose which one you want to use for tracking.
- Click OK, then Publish.
You’re done! Presenter creates your published presentation in the folder you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see this pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Presentation: This launches your presentation in your web browser so you can take a look at your output. If you want to test your published course, though, it’s best not to do it this way. Since your published output was created specifically for use with an LMS, you should instead upload your course to your LMS and test it from there, to make sure it behaves as expected in the environment where you plan to use it.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This might be helpful if your LMS administrator will upload your course for you, and you need to send him or her the published output for upload.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials to transfer your output to a website (which isn’t something you’d typically do if you’ve published for LMS).
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the folder you specified on the Publish window. For LMS users, this is the most common choice, because it allows you to easily upload your entire zipped course to your LMS
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Presenter just created. There will be several folders and files, all of which are needed to play your course. If your LMS requires that you identify a single launch file once you’ve uploaded your content, the file to point to is index_lms.html.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, it's time to upload your content to your learning management system. The steps for this are different for each LMS. Ask your LMS administrator if you need help with the specifics of uploading, launching, or tracking your course.