Quizmaker ‘09 lets you run with the idea that not all quiz questions should necessarily be created equal. For example, say you’re making a quiz on workplace chemicals. Would a question about emergency spill response warrant more points than a question about which brand of window cleaning is preferred? Probably—so you might want to weight the two questions differently. And for certain questions, depending on their purpose and wording, you might even want to weigh each of the answer options differently, so that you can give partial credit for certain responses.
Here’s how to customize the points a user can earn on a given question:
- Add the question in Quizmaker by selecting Graded Question and choosing the question type from the pop-up list. (Only graded questions have point values. Survey questions aren't assigned points.)
- Enter your question and answer text in the question editor.
- Give some thought to the importance of the question, relative to other questions in the same quiz. Is the question more critical than others? Less critical? If other questions are worth 10 points, should this one be worth 10 too? Or 20? Or 50? Or 5?
- In the Points area, enter the value you'll grant for a correct answer vs. an incorrect one. You can enter any number from 0 to 1000. Or...If you're creating a multiple choice or word bank question, you can opt to grant different points for different answers (even the incorrect ones), rather than a flat value for a correct or incorrect response. This is called scoring by answer, and here's how you do it:
- In the Score dropdown on the toolbar, choose By Answer.
- Then adjust the Points value for any answer in your list.
- Click Save & Close when you're done. The question's total point value now appears in the Points column of your question list.
How to Change the Defaults for Question Values
Since we're talking point values and customization, you should also know that the default point value (which Quizmaker uses for any new questions you add) can easily be customized. Use these steps to change the default:
- In Quizmaker, select Quiz Properties.
- Click the Question Defaults tab on the left edge of the window.
- In the Question Properties area, adjust the Points awarded.
- Click OK.
The new values will be used only for new questions you add—values for current questions won't be affected. And if you need to adjust a certain question’s point value later, no problem. You can always modify the points on a question-by-question basis, any time. From your question list, just double-click the question you want to modify and change its points to whatever you like.