Quizmaker ‘09 includes an easy way to publish your e-learning content for local use—such as if you need to deploy your quiz from a CD or a standalone computer.
Keep in mind that the process we cover in this tutorial is for standalone quizzes. If you instead want to incorporate your quiz into a course you’ve built in Presenter, you’d want to publish your quiz to Presenter, and then publish the entire course from Presenter to CD.
Here’s how to publish a standalone quiz for CD:
- From the Quizmaker menu, select Publish.
- Select CD from the publish options on the left edge of the window.
- Under Publish Location, use the Folder field to indicate the place on your computer where you want Quizmaker to generate your published output. You can click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to a specific location. Quizmaker will create a new folder in that spot, with all the files you need to play your quiz.
- Important! Always publish to a local drive on your computer. Publishing to a network can cause problems with your published output. After you publish your quiz or survey on your computer, you can burn it to CD or move it to some other local destination.
- Check the following Properties and adjust anything that needs changing:
- Quiz Title: You can change the quiz title, if you like, by clicking on it. Quizmaker uses this text for the title bar of your quiz player. The text here also becomes part of the folder name where Quizmaker generates your published output—the folder will be named Your Quiz Title - Quizmaker Output.
- Questions: This just indicates how many questions are in the quiz, and any randomizing or pooling you've enabled. You can't change the info here; to do that you'd need to click Cancel and modify your quiz.
- Passing Score: Click this value to change it if you want. If you're working with a survey, you won't be able to enter a passing score, since surveys aren't graded.
- Player Template: This indicates the player template used for your quiz or survey. The template determines the look and functionality of the player that users see when they launch your quiz. Click the link if you want to make any last-minute adjustments to the template, or if you want to switch to a different template.
- Quality: The recommended setting here is Optimize for CD-ROM delivery. If some other setting is shown, click the link to change it.
- Click Publish.
That's all there is to it! Quizmaker creates your published output in the folder you specified. When publishing is complete, you'll see this pop-up, and you can choose whichever option suits you:
- View Quiz: This launches your quiz in your web browser so you can take a look at your published output.
- Email: This opens up a new email message with a zipped file of your published output attached. This might be helpful if you need to share your quiz with an SME or other reviewer, or if you need to send it to someone who will place it in the location from which it’ll be deployed.
- FTP: This pops up a window where you can enter your FTP credentials and transfer your output to your website. This probably isn’t something you’d need or want to do, though, since your output has been optimized for local deployment instead of online deployment.
- ZIP: This creates a zipped file of your output in the folder you specified on the Publish window.
- Open Folder: This opens a file viewer where you can see the files Quizmaker just created. There will be several folders and files (all of which are necessary for your quiz to play). The file that launches your quiz is called Launch_Quiz.exe. There’s also an autorun file, which causes your quiz to launch automatically if learners insert a CD containing your published output.
What Do I Do with My Published Files?
Now that you've published, you can burn the files to CD or copy them to whatever local destination from which you plan to deploy your course.