Audio is a key element for many types of e-learning content. Relevant, high-quality audio helps capture learners’ attention, contextualize information, and makes for a more captivating multimedia experience.
In the resources we’ve collected here, you’ll find all the information you’ll need to start using audio like a pro in your e-learning courses.
Strategies for Effective Audio
Just because you can use audio doesn’t mean you have to! You should always consider if using audio in a particular project will enhance or distract from the learning experience. Dive into these articles to see how you can make the best use of audio to create compelling online learning experiences.
- Things to Consider When Using Audio in E-Learning — Ask yourself the questions in this article to determine whether audio is the right fit for your project.
- Five Ways to Use Audio in E-Learning — Explore how you can use different audio formats such as interviews, ambient sound, and background music to improve learner engagement.
- Tips for Writing Awesome Audio Narration Scripts — See how you can craft compelling voice-over scripts that ease audio production and keep learners focused on your content.
- Should You Duplicate Narrated Text on Screen? — Learn what the experts say about reading on-screen text to learners and discover what’s most effective for your projects.
- When to Use Text-to-Speech in E-Learning — Learn which situations or contexts are best suited to use text-to-speech for narration.
Production Tips and Tricks
Think you need to have access to sophisticated software and equipment in order to create high-quality audio? That’s not necessarily the case. Check out these articles to learn how to create clear, easy-to-understand audio for your courses.
- Audio Basics for Online Course Design — Check out this beginner’s guide for tips on preparing and recording high-quality audio.
- E-Learning Audio Tips from an Expert — Find out what equipment pro engineers use to get a polished, professional sound.
- Record Better Audio with a DIY Sound Booth — See how you can save money by building a portable sound booth that will instantly increase the quality of your audio.
Using Audio in Storyline 360
If you use Storyline 360 to create your e-learning, you’ll be pleased to hear that there are great tools for working with audio built right into the app. Here are some resources to help you make the most of Storyline 360’s audio capabilities:
- Using the Audio Tools — Get up to speed on working with all the audio tools in Storyline 360.
- Adding Audio — Learn how to import existing audio files into a project to supplement your content.
- Editing Audio — Need to make some tweaks to your audio? Here’s how you can make adjustments without leaving the app.
- Creating Closed Captions — Check out how you can add closed captions to your audio to make it accessible to all learners.
- Converting Text to Speech — Discover just how easy it is to add text-to-speech narration to your courses.
Now that you’ve learned how to create and use audio effectively, you’re well on your way to improving your projects with rich multimedia. What are your favorite uses for audio in e-learning? Share them in a comment below. And to learn even more about using multimedia in e-learning, check out these articles:
- Tips for Using Sound Effects in E-Learning
- 6 Types of Video You Can Include in E-Learning
- Top Tips for Using Text-to-Speech (TTS) in Storyline 360
Follow us on Twitter and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning. If you have any questions, please share them in the comments.