Creating Interactive Passenger Safety Cards #309

Interactive Passenger Safety Cards #309: ChallengeRecap

One of the things I like most about the e-learning challenges is seeing how course designers approach and solve the same problem.

For example, consider tabs interactions. Tabs are one of the most common e-learning interactions. They're simple and extremely versatile.

In last year’s tabs challenge, we received 50 different examples and ways to design this simple interaction. 

That's also why I like to repost common challenge topics each year. I like seeing how design styles change and evolve over the years. 

If you look at early e-learning courses, they're mostly text with few meaningful images or illustrations. In contrast, today’s e-learning designs are more refined and reflect a better understanding of how learners consume and interact with content.

Tabs Interactions in E-Learning #272

Tabs Interactions in E-Learning #272: Challenge | Recap

Airline Safety Cards

Airline safety cards have also evolved similarly to e-learning design. In the early designs, you see an over-emphasis on text-based instruction with few supporting visuals. 

Today’s safety cards rely more on color theory, flow and sequencing, minimal text, and instructional graphics. They’re also an excellent way for e-learning designers to practice creating more interactive courses.

And that's what this week's challenge is all about!

Airline Safety Cards

Air Safety World

Here’s an example of an interactive safety card featuring virtual flight attendants that guide learners through a series of pre-flight safety exercises. Using 3D models, learners can practice using life preservers, safety vests, and the brace position.

Air Safety World

Air Safety World

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to convert an airline safety card into an interaction. You can rework an existing card or create the graphics yourself. The objective for this week’s challenge is to transform static safety cards into engaging interactions.

Resources

There are dozens of websites, infographics, and videos for airline safety training. I pulled a few together to help you get started:

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you takeoff for this week’s challenge, check out the creative ways Pantone’s 2021 Color of the Year is being used in e-learning:

Using the Pantone Color of the Year #308

Using the Pantone Color of the Year #308: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

85 Comments
Ron Katz
Jodi M. Sansone
Jodi M. Sansone
Kimberly Eng
Mrinal D
Thierry EMMANUEL
Melissa Meyers
Zaileen Goddard
Gunjan Bhattacharjee