Over the years, community members have shared hundreds of tips, insights, and best practices for freelance course designers. Below are some of the more popular discussions in the forums.
- Show Us Your E-Learning Portfolio Challenge | Recap
- Why You Need an E-Learning Portfolio … Now!
- Do you have an elearning portfolio? Share your work here!
- Why you need an e-learning portfolio
- Sharing your e-learning work with blogs
- Online Portfolios for Instructional Designers
- How do you host your e-learning portfolio online?
- Creative resume templates for e-learning designers
- E-Learning Designers: What's your 5-year plan?
- 5 Simple Ways to Get Started with E-Learning Development
- Here’s How to Be an E-Learning Superstar
Working with clients
- 3 Tips to Create Strong Client Relationships
- How do you delight your clients?
- How many mockups or design comps do you show clients?
- Questions for clients when building an e-learning course
- Gently "pushing back" with a client
- Meeting prospective clients
- Increasing client collaboration using storyboards in PowerPoint
Pricing and quoting projects
- What's the going rate for freelance work?
- How much to charge for a course?
- Cost of developing 1 hour of elearning
- Cost of developing elearning
- Fixed vs. hourly pricing
- Voice over costs
- How do you determine your daily rate?
Finding work and getting clients
- 5 Tips to Launch Your Career as an E-Learning Freelancer
- Get an E-Learning Job with these Simple Tips
- Finding new work and clients
- Top Tips for Finding Freelance E-Learning Gigs
- Where to find freelance work
- Using social media
Proposals, Contracts and Documentation
- 3 Ways to Protect Yourself--and Your Project--with a Contract
- How do you get your client to stick to deadlines?
- Project management and difficult clients
- What deliverables is a client entitled to at project transfer?
- Course 'ownership' - do you retain rights or hand everything over?
- Sample contracts for the provision of e-learning
- E-Learning Course Development Agreement
- What should I include in elearning SLAs and agreements?
- Project Management & Planning
- Setting up as sole traders or as limited companies
- Freelancers: How did you pick your company name?
Challenge of the week
This week your challenge is to design a poster around your favorite freelancing tip for course designers.
This week's challenge is similar to the instructional design tips challenge.
The poster or infographic design makes it easy to share your freelance tips with the e-learning community.
Feel free to share a single tip or a top 10 list of times. It’s up to you what you share so have fun with it!
Share your e-learning work
- Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
- Forums: Start your own thread and share a link to your published example..
- Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
- Twitter: If you share your demos on Twitter, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.
- Facebook: Share your work on our Facebook page by replying to this Facebook post with a link to your example.
Last week’s e-learning challenge:
Wishing you a great week, E-Learning Heroes!
New to the e-learning challenges?
The weekly challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.
If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
If you share your demos on Twitter, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.