Using the Jump-to-Time Trigger to Create Interactions in Storyline 360 #318

Jump to Time Trigger in Storyline 360 #318: Challenge | Recap

Q. How do I jump to a specific time or cue point on the timeline?
A. Easy. Use the jump-to-time trigger.

If you’ve never used this amazing trigger, this week’s challenge will change how you think about Storyline’s timeline.

With the jump-to-time trigger, you can build interactions that enable learners to navigate to different times or cue points on the timeline. This is a big deal because it gives course designers new ways to turn control over to their learners.

One of the easiest ways to begin using the trigger is to create an interactive video that lets learners jump to different places in the video. Check out this example David Fair put together:

Jump to time trigger David Fair

View the jump-to-time trigger example

Cool, right? But navigating videos is only the beginning. Let's see what else is possible.

Creating Looping Animations

In this week’s deconstruction webinar, Sarah Hodge shared how she uses the jump-to-time trigger to create subtle, looping animations in Storyline.

Creating Looping Animations

If you missed Sarah’s session, no worries. You can view the recording and download her source file from the session’s resource page.

Creating Looping, Animated Buttons

Looping animations don't have to be cosmetic. Combined with interactive objects like buttons, they can engage your learners and prompt them to touch the screen.

Check out the quiz example Jonathan Hill shared for the educational animations challenge. There's a lot of jump-to-time goodness going on in this project. Be sure to download the source file to see how he built it.

Creating Looping, Animated Buttons

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to use Storyline’s Jump to time / cue point action to create an animation or interaction.

If you’re new to Storyline, start with something simple like a video that learners can navigate using a series of on-slide buttons. If you get stuck or have questions, ask in the comments below or post in our forums. We’ll be glad to help you out.

Resources

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example.
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you jump into this week’s challenge, check out the interactive soundboard examples your fellow challengers shared over the past week:

26 Examples of Interactive Soundboards for E-Learning #317

Audio Soundboards for Learning RECAPChallenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

192 Comments
Ron Katz
Jodi M. Sansone
Ron Katz
Jennifer Gupta
David Crocker

Thanks everyone for your kind comments: @Jennifer.. The tone arm is separate from the base of the turntable and is a dial on the same layer as the spinning record. There are triggers which add a little bit to the dials variable at different times on the timeline which moves the tonearm in an arc on the record. As the timeline of the layer is repeated with the go to time trigger it just keeps adding to the variable until it reaches the centre. If you are interested I'm happy to share the storyline file with you. @Ron... The music is an mp3 that I mixed with an mp3 of the sound of a needle in the grove with no music giving it that record sound. You can hear the beginning and some static pops as it goes through. If you let it get to the end you can here the tick tick tick of the needl... Expand

Ron Katz
Jeffrey Riley
Shannon Perry
Amy Palian

Hello everyone! This week's challenge was really challenging :). It sure took some time, but I love it. This is how I learn the best. This week I created my challenge on a corporate soft training module focusing on constructive feedback. I also got to use Vyond for the first time. I only wish the voiceovers didn't sound so robotic. There were a couple of things I couldn't get to work. If anyone can give me tips, I would really appreciate it. 1. The buttons for 4 different feedbacks wouldn't change state to "visited" no matter what I did. I set up the already created visited state AND I tried creating a new state and using triggers to change state when the user clicks on the buttons, but nothing worked :( 2. The cue points are perfect on the timeline when I play it, but when I pla... Expand

Amy Palian

Hi, David. Thanks for giving me your tips. The whole project is built on one slide with layers. The setting is "automatically decide". The way I set it up is I broke the video into three parts: the start, the content, and the end. I used two videos on the base layer and the end portion on a separate layer. The buttons are set up to how up when the first intro video reaches its end (that is where the two characters are on set talking to each other). Every time a user clicks on a button, the jump-to-time trigger takes them to the appropriate section of the video. When the portion of the video plays, a trigger is set up to take them back to that same exact time where the start video ends and the buttons show up. So on and so forth. So, maybe I should have created it on separate slides, but th... Expand

Ange CM
Amy Palian
Amy Palian

Hi Jennifer, I initially started building the course in Rise. This would be a great addition to the rise course. I am not a big fan of having the Vyond logo. Once I test out Vyond a little bit longer, I will decide whether I want to update my subscription or not. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out WellSaidLabs. I was initially thinking of recording the voice-over in SL, exporting it, and importing it onto Vyond. Then I thought that there was not lip-sync in Vyond to make the experience more realistic. Now, I could be wrong as I am new to Vyond. I use Toonly most of the time and they have the lip sync option so it is easy to sync the voice file with the character's lip motion. I am thinking Vyond probably has the lip-sync option I just haven't discovered it yet since I am very... Expand

Janessa Jordan Hewlett
Ange CM
dayal mrini