Three Easy Tricks for Editing Your Audio Like a ProUsing audio in your e-learning courses can add a lot of value to the learner’s experience. But most of us don’t have access to professional voice talent or fancy recording equipment. Your best makeshift recording studio is often a headset mic and a quiet corner. So how do you sound like a professional when you only have amateur skills and equipment?

Ideally, you should aim to record the best quality audio you can so you can minimize the amount of editing you need to do. But when it comes time to edit your audio, most of the heavy lifting can be done using the built-in audio editors in Articulate Storyline and Articulate Studio. When I need to do more extensive audio work (like editing out the sound of my neighbor’s yippee dog), I like to work in Audacity. Audacity is a free audio editor available for Mac or PC. It’s powerful enough for audio professionals to use while still being easy enough for a newbie to grasp.

There are plenty of free videos online to get you up to speed on Audacity’s user interface and features, but once you get acquainted with the basics, taking your audio from amateur to pro is quick and easy. Here’s a short video with three tricks to get you going:

Resources

For more audio pointers, check out these helpful articles and resources from the E-Learning Heroes community:

What pro tips do you have for working with e-learning audio? Share your ideas with us in the comments, in the E-Learning Heroes forums, or on Twitter.

And be sure to follow us on Twitter and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning.

6 Comments