Courses are no longer going full-screen in our LMS once going to SL360 from SL2

Dec 19, 2016

This is sad.

Our Courses are no longer going full-screen in our LMS once switching to SL360 from SL2 (I've taken the same course and others as tests, and it won't work correctly. )  The result is a pop-out window that only shows half of the player.

I checked the courses uploaded from the SL2 files, they are still working perfect, so this is not an issue with the LMS.

The new publish settings are going to HTML5 first, so I'm wondering if HTML5 cannot handle opening a window fullscreen.  That seems odd.

My Player settings are:

Resize browser to fill screen

Lock Player at Optimal size ( I didn't want the content to scale, just the window so it could show the whole course and player like in the older version..)

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've been on a mission to get my company to buy 5 copies and I don't know how to show them this. If it's an issue that is being worked on, then please email me. Thanks!

14 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Kyle!  I'm really sorry you're seeing such a difference between the 2 versions.  I was not able to reproduce that behavior in my own file.  I matched my settings to yours, and I tested in SCORM Cloud.  I looked at the Flash and HTML5 outputs for both the Storyline 2 version of my course and the Storyline 360 upgraded version.  I used Chrome and Safari.

Would you be able to share a copy of your .story file here for testing?  If you have the Storyline 2 version, that would be great-- then we can test what happens when it's upgraded to 360.  If you can't share your file here publicly, our support engineers can have a look via a support case!

Kyle Main

It seemed fine when i tested on Scorm Cloud too.

The issue was within our LMS, so I'm wondering if anything could have changed in the code. 
I tried several changes, and Could it have worked with the Flash version before, but now if I export to HTML 5 first and use Flash as a fall back, then could that have different code to enlarge a window? I thought that both would be using Javascript to enlarge the window, but I could be wrong.

Crystal Horn

Hey Kyle- you're welcome.  I didn't realize that we actually cover this info in our article comparing HTML5, Flash and Articulate Mobile Player output.  I apologize that I overlooked it!  You'll see that HTML5 does not support the browser resizing feature if you scroll down to the Player - Other section.  Your suspicions were on target, and I wanted to be sure you had this information so that you don't go on a wild goose chase for the root issue.

Let us know if you need any other help!

Lesley Cashman-Peck

Hi Crystal,

I'm having the same issue as Kyle. I use SCORM Cloud to distribute courses and the course will NOT resize the browser window. I've double-checked that the setting is correct on the player, and have re-published and uploaded the course again to SCORM Cloud. I'm running 360 and the latest update put out yesterday.

I have another SL2 course and that IS resizing from SCORM Cloud. I'm using Chrome version 56.0.2924.76.

Interestingly, the 360 course re-sizes to fill the browser window in Firefox.

The course won't even open for me in Internet Explorer. I just get a white screen (flash seems to be enabled).

Any ideas? 

Kyle Main

I could make a guess that there is an issue with the Javascript code if you
are sure that the Flash player is turned on, and working for all sites
(sometimes Flash can have higher restrictions on company computers (for
example) and there is a way to tell Flash to allow these URLs (you would
only need to allow (example www.apple.com - even if you were uploading the
content to www.apple.com/folder/folder/various folder )

So you could check if the JavaScript code is being blocked - I know that
usually the Flash file within an HTML page will use the Script that is
always or usually created with Javascript, and when I used to dig into the
code, that is where I could change the full-screen settings.

I hope this helps you or the Staff figure out a plan.

I also think that the settings for HTML / Flash - or FLASH / HTML should
sit in the Player, or somehow, be set for the project, so that the Player
could dim out the selection to go full-screen.

It's not right to let people select options that will not work without some
how communicating this. If the software can not talk to your settings to
dim the drop-down item, then you could have a caption below that lets users
know this won't work.

This is a pretty major issue, if I updated all my courses, and put on the
LMS, and had a tight deadline, I could easily miss my deadlines, because I
would have (sadly assumed, that an upgraded version would not take away
features without alerting customers.) Assuming is never good, that Is why I
did my testing, but This is after learning the hard way over 17 years using
Flash and other software for eLearning.

Also, when is Storyline 3 coming out? I heard in the forums that his is
coming, so I know that there were great changes from Storyline 1 to
Storyline 2, but Storyline 2 to Storyline 360 gave us a Dial, and HTML with
Flash fallback that does not go full-screen, I know that 360 gives a lot
of other items that would be nice to disable for a discount due to 100%
knowledge that I will never ever use anything other than the Content
Library which needs to have images assets sooner than later, and the Review
site - and of course Storyline 360, that seems will have less features than
the near future release of Storyline 3.

Thanks
Kyle

Jamie Liske

I know this thread is dormant, but I happened upon a solution to automatically resize the browser window when launching a course published in 360. It requires you to update files in the published output of your Storyline project. It's a little intimidating if you're not accustomed to messing around with these files, but it works.

When you publish a project, you have to go into the published output and update the index_lms_html5.html file with the following code:

<script>
window.moveTo(0, 0);
window.resizeTo(screen.availWidth, screen.availHeight);
</script>

This code should be placed before the </body> and </html> tags (these are the last two tags in the file).

Once this is done, you can zip the published output folder structure and upload it. If you already have a zip file, you can copy the index_lms_html5.html file from the unzipped directory and paste it in the zipped directory.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.