Duplicate fonts in SCORM export - Articulate Rise 360

Jan 07, 2021

I have an issue when exporting a course that uses the same font for both headings and body (see theme fonts.jpg attached).

When loading the SCORM file to the LMS, I received an error (see error.jpg attached). Upon further investigation, I found that the SCORM content actually lists the same WOFF file twice in the same folder, which is why I'm getting the error (see ZIP duplicate.jpg attached).

My question is: Why is the WOFF file listed twice? Because I used the same font for both headings and body? If so, surely there is an error within the SCORM export within Rise. What is the workaround?

16 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Bruce! I see you're using a Custom font. What versions of the font did you upload? Did you upload only the regular version, or did you also include the italic and bold versions? 

Headings in Rise are automatically displayed in bold, and if the bold version of your font isn't available in Rise, it may be using the regular version in its place. Please add in the bold version of your font or if you prefer non-bold headings, you can:

- duplicate your font and rename with "bold" in the name
- upload this so you have both the regular and "bold" version

Please then try exporting this again, and let me know if you have any trouble! 

Renz Sevilla

Hi Daya! To clarify, that suggestion is only if you had uploaded the custom font and did not want to include the bold version.

If you want to do this and have the regular version of the WOFF file, you would:

- right-click the file on your desktop or other file location before upload. (this is not done within Rise)
- Copy the file and rename

Henrik Svensson

Hey, I've got the same issue that hopefully has been solved. It is the publishing to SCORM that messes things up. 
I've attached all versions of the font (bold, regular, thin etc.).

The problem occurs only in the ZIP-file:

• If I open the ZIP-file, I see duplicates of my custom font.
  • If I extract the ZIP-file - the duplicates are gone.
  • If I re-ZIP the file, they are still gone.

Hopefully this has solved the issue! Although, the problem still lies within Articulate Rise SCORM packaging of course. Looks like a bug to me.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Lauren! Thanks for sharing your SCORM file. I tested it in SCORM Cloud, and it is working:

https://app.cloud.scorm.com/sc/InvitationConfirmEmail?publicInvitationId=b54d7e54-c85b-4ead-9894-a84ce894e00e

SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content. 

This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content.

You'll also find some helpful LMS-troubleshooting tips here.

Since your course works properly in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, kindly share the SCORM Cloud findings with your LMS provider to troubleshoot the issue. 
Gren Foronda

Hi Lauren!

Sorry to hear you are getting errors when uploading another exported SCORM file to your LMS.

Thanks for sharing the screenshot; however, we can't seem to access and view this. Can you re-upload this screenshot (showing the error messages) using the Add Attachment button when replying to this post?

Thanks so much!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Jolene! This was a bug in an older version of Rise 360, but it should have been fixed. Thanks for letting us know you're running into it again! Would you mind opening a case and attaching the unedited version of your SCORM file? We'd love to take a look and see if we can recreate this problem on our side. Thanks! 

Michael Marcos

Hi everyone, we've been trying to replicate this using steps that caused the original problem from the original post's time (2 years ago) and could not get the same duplication in the published output. If you can share some more details as to how these courses with the duplicate fonts in the published output ended up this way that would be really helpful. 

If you can work closely with our support team by opening up a case, that would be even better. 

Tahlia Ewing

Thanks for the update, Michael! We just ran into this error this morning. I've made a case and attached screenshots of the export settings and the original scorm package and will happily provide any details I can on this to help get it re-patched!

For everyone else, unzipping the SCORM package, clicking replace on the pop-up, and then re-zipping is still working! It's an extra step, but at least it's keeping ups moving for now! I will come back and update with more info when I have it!

Update: Too soon to have heard back from support, but we've been testing all of our various file formats and sharing settings this morning. Here's what we've learned - "Send a Copy" when a custom font is installed seems to be the thing that's breaking it. Adding a collaborator as a course manager and having them "duplicate" the course did not create the same issue. Not sure if this is the same scenario as everyone else had, but it's the only way we've had the issue occur.

Alyssa Gomez

Good news, everyone! We fixed the issue where duplicate custom fonts were created when an author was sent a copy of a course.

We've removed the duplicate fonts automatically, so you should notice that duplicate fonts have disappeared from your affected courses. 

Let us know if you have any further trouble with this!