Survey or Short Answer Questions

Jun 28, 2017

Absolutely love Rise, but one feature I'm hoping is coming in the future, or better yet, I'm just not realizing is an option.

I'd love the ability to put in a box for my end users to fill out their own thoughts on a subject, a survey or short answer question.  Is that something that's possible in Rise? 

115 Replies
Chino Navarro

Great news! Announcing the beta of question banks in Rise 360!

Create randomized quizzes by drawing from a bank of prepared questions. You have the flexibility to use question banks for knowledge check blocks or quizzes—giving you options for how and when you want to check or test a learner’s knowledge. And if you’re an Articulate 360 Teams subscriber, you can easily share question bank folders with other team members to ensure consistency across your organization’s courses.

Find out more about creating, managing, and using question banks in our Rise 360 User Guide.

Enjoy!

Megan Thorne

Another vote for ungraded surveys within Rise. At the very least, let us turn off the feature where learner sees feedback. If it wasn't so blaring with the giant dial and animations it might not be as distracting but it is very hard to even try to disguise a quiz question as a non-graded question. I've just created a multiple-response knowledge check so it doesn't look like only one answer is correct, where we must both ask the learner to please only select one option (no guarantee they will comply) AND explain to please ignore the score they receive at the end since this was set up as a quiz for data collection purposes. So clunky this way but no other work-arounds to keep all the data together.

John Cooper

It seems like this thread has been going for quite some time. It would be good if Articulate were to add a survey and short answer non-graded question block to RISE BUT...

...In the meantime, it appears to me that these are the options:

1. Use a third party product (e.g. Microsoft, Google, Survey Monkey etc) and embed this in an iFrame

Downsides:

• Possible extra cost
  • Someone mentioned their company policy would not allow this
  • The user input is not passed to the LMS

2. Use a Storyline Block to create the text entry or Likert-style survey and then use JavaScript to download the results as a pdf or email the results

Downsides:

• Fairly complex if you aren't a JavaScript programmer
  • The data doesn't persist within the course outside of the Storyline block (variables are reset if you exit the block) so you can't use the results in any way within the course

3. Use Storyline, JavaScript (as above) but store the data input in local browser storage

Downsides:

• Similar level of complexity to (2)
  • The data does persist and can be picked up by another Storyline Block later in the course BUT will be lost if the user exits and resumes using a different browser, different device, or clears their browser cache

4. Use Storyline, JavaScript (as above) but store the data in the cmi.comment_from_learner data structure in SCORM 2004

Downsides:

• Way more complex (even if you are a JavaScript programmer!)
  • Only any use if you are using a SCORM 2004 compliant LMS
  • Just because your LMS supports this feature in SCORM 2004 (it's mandatory for compliance) it doesn't mean it reports on it (this is not mandatory in the SCORM 2004 standard)
  • Each comment stored is limited to 4000 characters (but you can have up to 250 comments)

4. Use Storyline, JavaScript but send the data to an xAPI compliant LMS and store the data in an LRS

Downsides:

• Still fairly complex
  • You will have to use the LMS's report generator to report on the data - but isn't this what you moved to xAPI for??

5. Use Storyline, JavaScript but send the data to a third party spreadsheet or document (e.g. Google docs, AWS, Microsoft etc)

Downsides:

• Possible extra cost
  • Never done it - so I don't know how complex this is - probably similar to (4)
  • The data is stored outside of the LMS

6. Use Storyline, JavaScript and write you own server-side app the JavaScript can talk to

Downsides:

• I'm joking - this is insanely complicated and you need to be a proper nerd to do it!!

IS THAT ALL - Or does anyone else have any other methods???