Photoshop without the expense of photo shop

Ari Avivi

199 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM  

Can anyone sugest some kind of layered graphic program ala photo shop that people are using for designing graphics etc.

thannks.

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

User Rank Phil Mayor

9,879 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

photoshop elements, has everything you will need from photoshop, or if you dont want to spend a penny GIMP or paint.net

User Rank Steve Flowers

4,039 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM  

Inkscape and Artweaver (free) are also quite good for free software. GIMP is great and holds some small advantages over Photoshop in some workflows and tasks. I lean on Photoshop quite a bit and you couldn't go wrong with Photoshop elements ~($80 US I think).

The function of this tool is as odd as the name but might just meet your fancy: Project Dogwaffle.

Art Sederquist

11 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM  

If you're interested in trying the free open-source (FOSS) option GIMP, you might start here: 

http://sites.google.com/a/dons.usfca.edu/implementation-guide-gimp/

I found installating GIMP a bit of a challenge and built this to help site educators ramp up and over the learning curve. 

Will Findlay

146 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM  

The beta of Photoshop is free right now... (of course, that won't be forever, and it is likely a ploy to get you hooked!): http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/photoshopcs6.html

Rich Johnstun

134 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM  

Another vote for GIMP. It also has a very large following so there are a lot of "how to's" available on YouTube. 

Simon Perkins

1,095 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM  

+1 GIMP (general Photoshop duties) and Inkscape (vector-based).  Plenty of online tutorials available too.  

Ant Pugh

190 posts

Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM  

I use Paint.net  too - and I also downloaded a free plug-in that allows you to open PSD files and save as PSD too.

Gina Hoekstra

93 posts

Posted Monday, April 02, 2012 at 12:59 PM  

I also use Paint Shop Pro. I have always used that (and have also used Photoshop) but for the price it does the same thing in my opinion at a fraction of the cost. When I started getting into photography I upgraded to Paintshop Pro Photo X and it is AWESOME!

April Edmonds

47 posts

Posted Tuesday, April 03, 2012 at 7:37 AM  

At home I have Photoshop Elements 10 (v.9 and 10 now have masking). 

Some others I have in my toolbox, mostly for something quick to edit:

Real World Icon Editor

SnagIt Editor

Photoscape

Of course, I also use Powerpoint 2010.

David Steffek

80 posts

Posted Tuesday, April 03, 2012 at 1:45 PM  

I use pixlr.com (free in-browser) regularly here at work.

Also, Aviary (free in-browser) offers a suite of multi-media creation/editing tools (http://advanced.aviary.com/).

Posted Wednesday, April 04, 2012 at 3:26 AM  

Hi!

If you're used to photoshop, maybe you'll like GIMPshop.

"GimpShop is a modification of the FREE Open Source GNU Image Manipulation Program intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop."

It's also free! Hope I helped!

Posted Wednesday, April 04, 2012 at 8:15 AM  

I also use PaintShop Pro (PSP) and have used it for years. It is low cost at $99 (and often on sale for $59) and can do the same thing as PhotoShop and Illustrator combined, but in less steps than those two apps. PSP also has more effects and painter options than the other guys. I just hope that Corel never catches on to what a great product they bought from JASC and hike the price to match the other guys. Shhh...Mum's the word.