Articulate Mobile Player for Iphone and Android

Jul 07, 2012

Greetings everybody!

Is there any word on if there will be a Mobile player app for the Iphone and Android devices???  I have noticed that my published courses seem to "freeze" and "stick" on Android.  I'm wondering if the mobile player app would solve this problem.  My content is most likely going to be viewed on smartphone devices, so I hope to deliver the best viewing experience available!

Thanks for the help guys!  This forum rocks!

18 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Graham, 

Thanks for asking. As far as I know, it's a combination of strategies, a couple of which you mentioned. But I think above all else, our development team doesn't believe in raising hopes and expectations until they're confident that they're close to a finished and excellent product. I'm sure there are competitive strategies at play as well. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rakhi and welcome to Heroes! 

Peter has taken another position within Articulate and doesn't get into the forums as often.

No news on supporting Android as a platform, but I encourage you to share your needs with our Development team by submitting a Feature request.  

As far as the iPhone, you won't be able to zoom within the iPhone view - but I wanted to point you to this blog post about designing for mobile devices and some best practices especially in terms of text size. 

Vassiliki Bouki

Hi all,

Are there any news on this? It is a year and a half (since July 2012) since the first post.

I keep visiting features requests - at least 3 times last year - but I do not know what difference that makes.

it makes sense if after such long waiting time developers give up and start looking for other solutions...

Regards,

Vassiliki

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Vassiliki,

I don't have any news to share on offering Android support, but it is something that continues to be a topic of discussion and that our team is looking in to. The great thing about feature requests, is that it gives our users a way to communicate directly with the development team, thus giving our dev team an insight into what's in demand. . With that being said, I have seen a few community discussions where users have shared what they found did work on their Android tablets. 

ROBERT GEORGE

Hi All,

Despite the fact that Adobe has permanently stopped support for Flash Playeron Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Android tablets are still quite capable of running the flash version of the Storyline project. The following has been tested with a Nexus 10 and the latest Android OS. In brief you have to have flash installed on your Android tablet and a browser that properly supports flash. The only browser (not Chrome, not firefox), that we have found properly supports all the features of Storyline projects (including quiz types and drag 'n' drop designer activities) and flash is the Dolphin Browser. See steps below (it looks involved but it doesn't take long to complete) which explain where to get flash for the Android OS and how to install it properly (you only have to do this once)...

N.B. If you already have aversion of Adobe Flash player (earlier than (11.1) then we suggest that you uninstallit first and then follow the 5 installation steps for the 11.1 (or later)version.

Touninstall an older version of Flash Player

1.              Youcan uninstall Flash Player by going to Settings > Applications > ManageApplications > Flash Player. Then click Uninstall.

2.              Ifyou're only presented with the Uninstall Updates option, it's because FlashPlayer was included on your device by the manufacturer – in such instances, youmay not be able to delete Flash Player (or any of the other applicationspre-packaged on your device).

Installing the latest version of FlashPlayer

You will have toconfigure your android device to allow installation of software from non-officialthird party sources.  Please note that Adobe flash security updates are no longerbeing developed for android, and that theoretically this may causesecurity/stability issues in the future or when upgrading the operating system.

There are five simple andquick steps to installing Adobe Flash player on your android device:

1) Configure Android for Non-Google Play Apps

By default, any Androiddevice will certainly block any app installations from elsewhere other than theGoogle Play store. Such installations can fortunately be enabled by followingthe following steps:

§    Open settings > security and enable (check) the ‘unknownsources’ option. You will need to carefully observe the warning

2) Downloading the Adobe Flash Player APK File

You should now downloadthe Android Flash Player APK file (installs Flash Player) which is no longeravailable on the Google Play Store. A clean, tested Android Flash Player APKfile can be found at

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

You should download the mostrecent version of the APK file – look for the following line or even a newerone…

(NEW 12/09/2013)Download thefile flash_player version 11.1.115.81 :http://d-h.st/Lkm

Select the smaller black  ‘Download’button.

I have testedversion 11.1.115.81 and it works well with the latest version of the DolphinBrowser (available from the Google Play store). Please note that Google Chrome andOpera Mini browsers do not support flash at all now and although Firefox willdisplay animations made in flash it is not effective in picking up the code fordrag and drop activities (so please use the Dolphin Browser – install it if youhave to).

3) Installing Adobe Flash Player

Browse your Android device for the downloaded APK forthe file either in the notification bar or (if your download notification hasdisappeared) use a file management tool such as Android File Manager (available free from the Google Play Store) andtap the file to begin installation.

Once you tap the APKfile, you will be asked if you want to begin the installation. Click ‘install’to proceed and it will only take a few seconds for the process to complete.

Adobe flash player is now installed on your Android device.

4) Enabling Adobe Flash Player on Android

Tap the three horizontallines at the top right of the browser window and choose Settings, and underContent (or Display) choose Plugins. Now select ‘Enabled’ rather than 'Tap toplay' option.

5) Reconfigure Android for Non-Google Play Apps

To maintain security you should now disable the ability todownload from `unknown sources’ as setup in Stage 1.

Open settings > securityand disable (uncheck) the ‘unknown sources’ option.

You will now havereturned to the default setting where your Android device will block any appinstallation from anywhere other than the Google Play store.

N.B. Please make sure that you download yourapk installation file from a reputable source such as the XDA developers forumwhere it is certified to be clean and working.

I hope Storyline V2 (when released) has an option to export to an Articulate Android player it would make things much easier for all the non-techs.

Regards

Robert

Fadzil Zainal

It's been 3 years and in today's world, students prefer using smartphones rather than laptops. The answer given above won't be applicable to school or college students in order to access the storyline in smartphones. They need an easy and fast way to access the file or else they will just walk away from using it. Please do something about this. This is crucial.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.