Looking for feedback

Jul 16, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of redesigning an e-learning course that I did in PowerPoint because the original looked more PowerPoint than e-learning. I am looking for feedback (e.g., anything I could have done better, differently, or not at all) on my slides and color scheme. There are a total of six slides, a title slide (Slide 1), table of content slide (Slide 2), a transition slide (Slide 3), and a content slide (Slide 4), and my typography and color scheme. This e-learning course is informational for pre-service teachers in our graduate level adolescent development and second teaching methods courses. There are interactive activities, however, there are no assessments since this course is supplemental.

7 Replies
Jill McNair

Hi Sheila,

Welcome to the forums!  I like what you did with your redesign - it no longer looks like a PowerPoint!  Here are some thoughts:

1. The first slide (kinda techno), although it includes colors from the color scheme, does not seem to fit with the rest of the slides (classroom).  The words "The Information-Processing Memory Model" has a purple glow in it, which is not part of the color scheme)  Perhaps a new image in the same style as the whiteboard, and changing the color of the glow would help to tie it in with the rest of the slides.

2. I would try to find better quality images.  The whiteboard and door are blurry.  Trying to blow up a small image always makes it blurry (unless it's a vector image).  Try a larger version of your images or search for some new ones.  Here is a thread that lists tons of sites that have free images: http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/1187/6674.aspx#6674

3. I am not sure what the purpose of the Typography Samples slide is.  Usually a slide like this will list the fonts that are to be used.  Your slide does not list the font(s) to be used, and also shows text in colors that are not part of the color theme. Here is a great post from Tom's blog all about this topic: http://www.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/a-simple-powerpoint-technique-to-make-your-e-learning-courses-look-good/

4.  In order to help myself in the future, I always add the RGB values for the colors in the color theme so I do not have to look them up again.  You can find the RGB values using a free color-picker like Pixie.  The other option is to add the custom colors to your color palette - but this will not help someone else who might be building something with this template.  But this is completely up to you.

5. You might also consider adding a few more layout options for the content.  Here is yet another great post from Tom Kuhlmann on how to create a template.  This one is based on designing a template based on a web page design, but he does illustrate multiple page layout options. http://www.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/how-to-build-an-e-learning-template-with-no-money-down/

Hope this helps you to tweak your much improved course!  Great job!

Jill

Sheila Thomas

Hi Jill,

Thank you so very much for your feedback. The typography samples were words in font types I would consider using for the course--thank you for catching that. Also, I added my color scheme to my color palette in PowerPoint; however, I will certainly visit Pixie and the other links you provided. Again, thank you--I am more excited now than when I began.

Sheila

James Brown

OK let's see if I can provide some feedback.

Let's look at your e-learning course using the CARP principal.

Contrast - Do your colors match?

Alignment - Do all the slides look like they belong to the same presentation?

Repetition - Are the same colors and style repeated throughout the presentation?

Position - How are the elements arranged?

I hope you don't mind but I revised your slides. I want you to pay attention to what I did. I placed the main non-animated objects in the Slide Master. In fact  one thing I learned here was to use the slide master to create your stage and then if you want to add additional animated objects, just place the objects on the stage. Anyway you have a nice start but stick with the classroom theme. When you want to zoom in, use the bigger screen.

Hope that helps,

James

Sheila Thomas

@Jill and James. OK. Here's version 2. I am sticking with the classroom theme since the course is for pre-service teachers. Also, am using ideas from the tutorials such as shading and using transparent shapes to define actions. I think the new title slide is really cool! I hope you like what I've done thus done. I am basically teaching myself the graphics and visual aspects of instructional design--so, I am reading everything I can get my hands on. James, thanks for CARP and Jill, thanks for all of the cool sites!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.