Animated Navigation... Is there a smarter way?

Jan 23, 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create an animated navigation and since there is no starting and end point to the animations in Storyline (that I know of) I've kindof worked around the issue I have where I want to animate a navigation pane from one end of the slide to the other while my other panes move off screen. It's not exactly fluent but it seems to work.

I just wanted to check if this is the best way to do it... and if it could be made more fluent...

Looking forward to your responses

Tnx

Jeff

@eLearningJeff

21 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Wow Jeff - that looks fantastic! Nice work on the design, it's really beautiful. I think what you've done works just fine! One thing I would probably do differently is place the animated items on a separate layer, just so that you don't have to deal with the overlap when you're authoring the slides. To me it feels easier to keep them on their own layer rather than turn their visibility on/off on the timeline whenever you want to get them out of the way so you can work on the other content of the slide. 

See the attached - I created a new layer on each of the 2 content slides, and a trigger causes the layer to appear as soon as the slide timeline starts. When the layer timeline finishes, another trigger hides the layer.

Oh, and one more recommendation would be to move the header objects to a slide master so that they could all be managed in one place.

Really great work!!

Jeff Kortenbosch

Tnx, Jeanette that is really helpful. I cant take full credit for the design though. I bought a Wordpress template that used the animated panes but could not take out the stuff I didn't like and put in the stuff I did want (the social icons, my logo in the proper size) so I thought it would be a cool Storyline project  

I also completely set the SL player to transparent so visitors won't even see the slim line of the player that you get when turn off all buttons and menu items. Now it completely blends into the background of my html page.

I surely intend to put all the recurring stuff (header and footer) in a master slide but was just playing around with the animations. Otherwise I'd have all those triggers on every page... and to much triggers make me nervous

Tnx again!

Sam Carter

Jeff Kortenbosch said:

Tnx all! Unfortunately the HTML5 output doesn't seem to hide the layers at all :( 

Can anyone see what's happening or is it just me?

Jeff,

By adding animated objects to the "Panes Off" layer, I found that although the layer was showing, the timeline wasn't running.

Adding audio to the base layer and the Panes Off layer.  I found that the audio timeline on the base layer played, which is correct, but not on the Panes Off layer which is showing.

Oddly, clicking the object to proceed to the next slide THEN played the Panes Off layer, before proceeding to the next slide.  Very strange.

Deleted all the objects on the base layer ... the timeline then plays correctly on the Panes Off layer.

Something is clearly wrong, you should submit a bug report.

A possible workaround that I haven't tried might be to remove all objects on the base layer and perform all displays on layers...

Tested all this in IE 9 and Firefox.  Same results.

Sij X

Thanks Christine! The Hover state did make sense though I couldn't figure out how Jeff got that exact glow.
I had a look at the glow options under Format > Picture effects > Glow but the presets couldn't recreate what Jeff made.

Being picky, I know. Apologies. Imps are like that, I hear Can't wait for Season 3 but going at the book furiously!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.