Challenge: Can you solve this tricky story?

Jul 01, 2013

Please, who can help me with this tricky story? I have used too many hours to figure this out so now I would like to ask the forum.

The story is working fine as long as the users submit a correct answer but if they submit an incorrect answer or drag and drop too much around then it's not working. 

My Friend Rebecca from this forum tried to solve the problem but sadly with out luck. She defines the problem like this: "It's that 2nd drop target and the need to record the answer as correct only if target 1 has 1 object dropped and target 2 has 2 objects dropped...combined with wanting to allow Learners to drag objects off any target and on again, that has me going in circles."

I will give an ice cream to the person who can solve this

Best

Lars

15 Replies
eTam Miller

Hi Lars- I just took a quick look and it appears you are using a 'Pick One' freeform when you should be using a 'Drag & Drop'. Remove the pick one freeform and create a drag and drop using the appropiate drop target for each item, and you should be all set.

Also, this tutorial may help: http://community.articulate.com/tutorials/products/converting-an-existing-slide-to-a-freeform-interaction.aspx

Lars Louring

Hi eTam,

Thanks for your response. If using 'Drag and Drop' then one straberry can only be attached to one plate and this will cause problems.

As an example: If the user place straberry1 on plate2 this will not be a wrong action but the user will get a wrong answer because stawberry1 is attached to plate1 in the Drag and Drop list.

So I don't think Drag and Drop is the solution

Lars

eTam Miller

Yes, only one strawberry can be attached to one plate. In this case you may have to change the concept to fit the functionality of the software. You can use drag & drop with the option to return items to start point, to cue the learner that it is the wrong plate. Or you could differentiate the strawberries. You could change the feedback too. Seems simpler and more efficient than what you've got going now... just my two cents.

Lars Louring

Brilliant!!! I'm so glad it's finally solved.

And congrats Phil. You're the winner of an ice cream. Did I mention that you have to go to Denmark to get it? Just kidding,

If there is a Coldstone Creamery near you I would like to send you a gift card by email? 

Also thanks to Harri, eTam and Tim for good inputs - but sorry no ice cream for you guys... 

Phil Mayor

Lars Louring said:

Brilliant!!! I'm so glad it's finally solved.

And congrats Phil. You're the winner of an ice cream. Did I mention that you have to go to Denmark to get it? Just kidding,

If there is a Coldstone Creamery near you I would like to send you a gift card by email? 

Also thanks to Harri, eTam and Tim for good inputs - but sorry no ice cream for you guys... 

No need, you never know when I may need some help

Glad you got it working.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Lars, so glad you started another thread here, since no one had responded at the other one. My time is limited in the forums for a little while, but I AM poking around a bit and just came across this.

eTam, Lars and I had used a pick one on a similar project before because there were limitations with the drag and drop in terms of his goals.

Tim, I'd played around with your idea and two "count" variables, but from connecting with Lars in the past, I didn't think he wanted that arrangement with that empty middle space. Otherwise, it's a good solution. Thanks!

Phil, thank you! I kept saying to myself that I somehow needed to connect the state change to the plates, but I couldn't get there. Really appreciate your solving this with Try Again. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think this challenge is a good one (for little ones) and I really wanted to know how to do it!

Lars Louring

Hi again. 

I have fund a bug in the story Phil.

Try to do this:

1. Drag two strawberries to plate number 1 and one straberry to plate number 2 and hit submit

2. After you got "Incorrect" drag one straberry from plate 1 to plate 2 and one straberry from plate 1 on the table.

(now plate 1 is empty and plate 2 has two straberries) hit submit again.

3. Now you will see "Correct" but this is not correct

Another question. Is there any reason you have placed two rectangles above the plates? Why not use the two plates as 'containers'?

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Phil and Lars,

I just saw this and haven't yet looked at your story Phil. I opened what I thought was your previous story, Phil and I don't have rectangles...I have plates as the targets (unless I changed it before I saved it? But I don't remember doing that). In any case, I saw that the target plates didn't have "free" as the Drag and Drop setting (I think it was set to stacked), which made it LOOK like plate 1 was empty in Lars' step 2 above...but the strawberry actually was there.

I changed the targets to Drop free. Lars, you can do this by

• right-click on the plates
  • from the shortcut menu, select Drag and Drop
  • click to place a check mark beside Free

After that, all was good. I'll upload my story here also, just in case it helps. It has a REALLY long name. Sorry, but it helps me to remember if I need to look for it again. Even though I have things sorted into (gazillions of) folders, I still lose things.

Will be online for a bit longer, than on to celebrate the 4th of July here in the U.S. Hope that's OK with you, Phil

Oh, and I have a question for you, Lars. Did you want the strawberries to remain on the plates after Learners hit submit, or did you want them to reset back to their original positions?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.