E-learning Challenges

Jul 31, 2013

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what possible challenges we can face while designing e-learning course for teachers.

As in every course its important to keep the learners motivated and engaged, I was wondering what could be the best strategy to use to convey the underpinning knowledge to this type of audience.

Will appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

A

3 Replies
Tim Slade

Hi Amanda,

I don't think you face too many different challenges with developing courses for teachers vs. other types of learners. All learners want to be engaged and motivated by good content. A teacher might be a bit more critical of the learning content and design, but I think if you treat your teacher audience (in terms of design) as you'd like to be treated yourself, I think you'll be okay.

Tim

Daniel Brigham

Hi, Amanda:

I assume you mean classroom teachers. A few thoughts based on that assumption.

1. Graphic design skill: this freaks many of us out, so you can imagine what it does to a classroom teacher. Helps if you can ease their fears with a few templates that they can edit. The free Storyline templates are an excellent start here.

2. Activities: many teachers tend to think that if they simply cover the material, the students will learn it. Not true. What activities can they includes so it's just not a "info info info info MORE info" course. Stuff like scenarios, games, independent research, group collaboration.

3. Challenge your learners: enough so they are engaged, but not so much that they get frustrated. On a related point, give them some time to stop and catch their breath (e.g., an easy reflective question, a summary slide, a slide with an inspiring image where they can just chill for a second before moving on. As mom always said, resting is important.

4. Focus on the core ideas: much elearning has "too much information" (which is a decent song by the Police, btw): focus the design on a few core ideas and the related core skills. Show the learners how those core ideas and skills are important to their work life. That's the best way to engage learners, regardless of what slick design or images you've got on-screen. 

Hope at least one idea helps. --Daniel

OWEN HOLT

Quite often, I hear people in the learning industry focus on the benefits of learning to the user. And while I don't disagree with this, I think there is often a step missing in the discussion. Before I can ever get to benefits, I first have to understand what the learners truly value. Is it time? Money? Both? Personal Satisfaction? Something else?

This lets me put things in perspective for the learner:

If you learn X, you will gain Y benefit (WIIFM), which will result in Z (more money, more time, more satisfaction, more _____)

Figure out what your learners value and use that as your filter and you won't go wrong.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.