Best way to convey this question/answer scenario

Aug 24, 2011

Hello,

I have a question/answer for a quiz I am creating.  I am trying to figure out the best Quiz Maker question type to get this across.  I have even thought about breaking the question down into different questions but there has to be a better way to do it.

I am looking for some advice on how you would tackle this question in Quiz Maker.

Thanks for chipping in!

-Dave

20 Replies
Dave Newgass

HA!  Nice one....

Jeanette Brooks said:

Hiya Dave. How about using a multiple-response question? You could do something like this:

Hello Jeanette,

I was hoping you were going to chime in on this!  I try not to ask for direct help from specific people on the forums...

Is there a way to import that directly into the quiz I already have created?

Many thanks.  You're a star....

-Dave

Jeanette Brooks

Glad you can use it! And um, since I'm not a scientist I don't know if you really need 2 separate columns for "lighter than air" vs. "heavier than air"... could you get away with just one, if each substance is always one or the other (lighter or heavier)? Or are some substances weighted the same as air, which would mean they're not heavier or lighter? I'm showing my scientific ignorance here!  Anyway maybe you could simplify the slide further by nixing the unneeded column - I'll let you decide on that.

Isa Antepara

Hi. I also have a difficult question to ask in a quiz. The answer to the question will always vary. I have learned from the support team that I cannot have a variable answer in a quiz maker question. I am asking for help to find the best way to present the question .

Question: If a person turns 21 today, what should the birth date be on their ID?

Suggestions..... pleeaaase???

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Isa - unfortunately it's not really possible to create a question that has a different correct answer depending on the current date. Can you tell us a little more about the learning objective and what you want your learners to be able to do? Could you maybe create a question such as "If a person turns 21 on January 31, 2011..." ?

James Brown

Isa here is the issue with Quiz Maker. It's looking for a specific value for the answer. To achieve what you want you must rephrase the question so that the answer is not dependent on today's date. Here is an example. "If Sam's birthday is June 21, 1996, when will he be eligible to purchase a alcohol?"  The answer would be June 21, 2017.

Pam Jones

Jeanette Brooks said:

Attached is the quiz file, case you'd like to import/customize it.

Hi Jeanette

I also want to create a similar question for a course so would like to see how you created this. But can't seem to extract the zip file you sent - it's showing as a "tgz" format which I haven't come across before?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pam

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.