Quality Remote Audio Recording?

Jan 31, 2012

I use Articulate to build Sales Training ELearning courses.  We use subject matter experts and audio record them in our corporate office.  Some SMEs are remote and it isn't cost effective to fly them in just for a recording session, so I'm looking for a quality way to record them remotely.  I need to have audio setting control to ensure quality.   Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks

Ron

7 Replies
Natalia Mueller

Is your only option to record your SME? We utilize our SMEs for content and script development but tap internal (local) resources for the audio. We've built up a list of people who do a good job and they're usually more than happy to step away and do something a little different. 

I realize this doesn't answer your question about remote recording, but maybe it's an alternate solution if you aren't able to find a way to do it remotely.

Good luck!

Christina Stephenson

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forums! This may not be the most cost effective or simplest solution, but my team has loaned out supplies in the past. If you have a good quality USB microphone in your department, you could consider mailing it to your SME for a few days to record their narration on their own and then send back. A USB mic is super simple to use - basically plug it in and you're good to go. And then for recording software, they could download Audacity (it's free), and then it's as simple as hitting the record button. You could possibly send along a Job Aid with the mic on how to plug in, record & publish to mp3 (or desired format), and then return postage to make it as simple as possible for them.

Another option might be recording a conversation through an online conferencing tool (such as Adobe Connect, LiveMeeting, etc.) I did this one in the past and it turned out pretty well. I was able to pull the audio from the recording and put it into a course.

Hope that helps!

Ron Flynn

Natalia Spurgin said:

Is your only option to record your SME? We utilize our SMEs for content and script development but tap internal (local) resources for the audio. We've built up a list of people who do a good job and they're usually more than happy to step away and do something a little different. 

I realize this doesn't answer your question about remote recording, but maybe it's an alternate solution if you aren't able to find a way to do it remotely.

Good luck!

Thanks Natalia.  Yoru recommendation is a good one however we are asked to use SMEs on the recording so that sales people see the people who own the topics.   I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Ron Flynn

Christina Stephenson said:

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the forums! This may not be the most cost effective or simplest solution, but my team has loaned out supplies in the past. If you have a good quality USB microphone in your department, you could consider mailing it to your SME for a few days to record their narration on their own and then send back. A USB mic is super simple to use - basically plug it in and you're good to go. And then for recording software, they could download Audacity (it's free), and then it's as simple as hitting the record button. You could possibly send along a Job Aid with the mic on how to plug in, record & publish to mp3 (or desired format), and then return postage to make it as simple as possible for them.

Another option might be recording a conversation through an online conferencing tool (such as Adobe Connect, LiveMeeting, etc.) I did this one in the past and it turned out pretty well. I was able to pull the audio from the recording and put it into a course.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Christina,

Good suggestions.

Rich Johnstun

I've done several remote recordings with SMEs via VoIP such as MS Communicator or Skype. I found a great program online called Total Recorder (

I'll then take the recording from Total Recorder into SoundBooth or Audacity and do my tweaks and editing as I see fit. I've done it where I've helped them load Audacity and had them do the recording themselves, but after a few mistakes and needing them to re-record, I've changed methods. 

As long as you prep them (making sure they are in the right location with a good connection, no interruptions, etc), the results have been very good. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.