POS (Cash Register) Online Training

Jan 22, 2013

Good morning all my eLearning Heroes!

I'm in the storyboard phase of a new project and while ideas are floating around, I decided to check and see if any of you have already built a POS (Point of Sale) or cash handling eLearning course. The course audience will be for a restaurant audience, but it really doesn't matter if someone has ideas for another industry as some of it could totally be interchangeable. Budget isn't really an issue. If you have, do you have any tips for what works well or elements that worked really awesome in your own? 

My initial thoughts are to include videos of a customer ordering with a practice and "show time" area. Practice will include cash handling policy at pertinent times (for example: customer is purchasing alcohol - notebook appears with a policy tip). Show Time will be timed to include an urgency, restaurant background noise to simulate the environment, and an "Ask a Team Member" button just like they would do in real life, although, that will cut into their time. I'd love to somehow show customer's piling in and include levels, but am a bit hazy on how to logistically do that right now. They'll be using a simulation of the POS system by way of the screencasting tool in Storyline. I'd like this to be really multimedia rich and actually have a customer telling their order and changing their minds, etc. like in real life instead of "Now, let's ring up a hamburger." or something like that. 

Ok, so that's the basis for what I've got regarding the creative elements. Any thoughts or experiences?

You're the best peeps! Either way, I appreciate each of you.

Keepin' the joy,

Patti

11 Replies
Anne England

Hi Patti

How do they  ring up the customer's purchases? If it's a self-service restaurant, tallying up from what they see on a tray, could you have some sort of timed activity to test their accuracy and speed... like showing a tray full of food, then making it disappear and getting them to ring up the items from memory?

Or you could have a the keys of the till on a screen (using triggers on the keys and a numerical variable to total up the cost), then have the audio, or a video, alongside, with a customer ordering then, maybe changing their minds or adding items after they've totalled, etc, so they have to add or void items?

With customers appearing, you can animate in photos or drawings of each new customer, and maybe have this trigger a counter (again, using a number variable) just to add a bit of pressure.

Just a thought... but I've never done anything for this sort of industry, so that's just off the top of my head.

Anne

Patti Bryant

Anne,

REALLY great ideas! Regarding how they ring up the purchases, think of "Subway-ish." Generally, they'll know what is in the sammie (or whatever they get) by the time it gets to the cashier. 

Like the keys of the till on the screen idea. It's so awesome to get help from those who aren't "in the weeds" of a project - so much insight that I can't see from where I am.

Keepin' the joy,

Patti

cody samuel

That is an exceptional idea you had in your mind and That would certainly create an option for the young persons who are in hospitality and Hotel industry to explore themselves more and know more about the technology which is the major part of the industry.If you want any help from us regarding the technical stuff or something like that we are always there.  Cheers..!!

_________________________________________-

Cody Samuel
consultant for posnation.com( Point of Sale System )
8701 Red Oak Blvd, Suite 100
Charlotte, NC 28217

Ryan David

That is a great idea describing by your side. This helps the people who are new in hospitality and Hotel industry and can explore themselves more and know about the technology which is the crucial part of the industry. if you need any help from our part regarding the technical stuff or something like that we are always ready.
 _____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ryan David

consultant for salesvu.com( POS System)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.