New to Storyline, how do I make my stuff do stuff?

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM  

Hello everyone,

I am a noob to Storyline, just downloaded the trial version. I am trying to make a short multiple choice sequence where the user can click 1 of 3 radio button choices (see attached pic). I would like for 2 of the 3 choices to dim out, regardless of which radio button is clicked. So the remaining correct picture/choice stays the same and the other 2 dim. 

I've gotten other animation the way I want it, and I know both triggers and hotspots are a thing, but I don't see how to use either of these to get my project to do exactly what I want.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Best,

Roberta

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

Tim Hillier

406 posts

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM  

Roberta;

I made a quick mockup for you with state changes on the other two pictures.

If you look on the timeline there is a states tab.  I added dim states to the objects and then used the triggers from the radio buttons to change the states on images 2 and 3 when any radio button is selected. 

this may be a start for you anyway.

Tim

dimtwo.story

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM  

Thanks, Tim!

So it's just a trigger: "Change stste to dim" for every possible choice/click. I was trying stuff with layers and all sorts, so thank you very much for your help.

Best,

RM

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM  

Ok, sorry... one more question because now I'm trying to do it. Why do you suppose I don't have "dim" as a choice for my trigger actions? Do you think it's because I'm using the free trial? Thanks.

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM  

This is the last dumb question, I swear... How come when I pen the mock-up you created (Tim) there is a Picture Tools Format tab at the top but I don't have that in the window where I'm working on my project?

Thanks a million.

Tim Hillier

406 posts

Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM  

No problem Roberta;

My answer is going to sound too simple so forgive me but I don't know where you are at with this.  The Picture Tools Format tab becomes visible when you have a picture selected.

Tim