Storyline 360 - mp4 file within the project -published web project will freeze when attempting to play the mp4.

Apr 29, 2024

Different browsers have been attempted, does not resolve issue.

I have submitted an Articulate Case 3 weeks ago.  Justin Grenier (VP Client Support) is aware. 

Luiza Quinto, Customer Support Engineer has responded to me via email; mp4 video was re-encoded but has not resolved issue.

i have emailed Articulate Support to inform them the issue is still not resolved.  i have requested assistance from Articulate Support 10 days ago and have not yet received a response.

This is a time sensitive project which we cannot move forward on.

How can this issue be escalated?   Your help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you. 

5 Replies
Andrew Hanley

Sounds awful Claudia, and I sympathise. Ive been in that situation before with important commercial projects and time critical deadlines.

Thinking back on my years experiencing various video related issues, one idea springs to mind for what might be causing your problem; and re-encoding doesnt fix it just like you said...

a corrupt frame within the video/audio layers can cause the symptoms you describe.

Is the problem only with the one MP4, and is it a local file, with standard playback? Does it have any additional/meta data associated with different channels etc?

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Claudia Briguglio

thank you!

There are a couple of other mp4's in the project, but havent been able to test because we cant advance in the project (due to mp4 freezing).  I am storying the project in the cloud.

i am attaching an imaging of the slide before the MP4  and the MP4 slide.  thank you!

Andrew Hanley

Those screenshots are helpful to understand what you are doing here.

You have already set the video properties to the settings I would use for most stable.

In trying to diagnose and fix the issue, I always try to go to the simplest possible option first.
In this case, that would be coping slides 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8 in to a brand new project.

I would then ensure any unnecessary triggers are removed.
In your case, this would be the Slide 2.7 "set state of next button" triggers (x2)
Its unlikely they are causing any problems, but Ive seen Storyline bug out at simple things like this before, so I would remove it.

Then publish your new 3 slide test project using LMS publish option, and ensure you are saving it locally. Dont use the cloud you mentioned for anything to do with the test project.

Can you try that and let me know how you get on?
If possible, and you can email me the video file, Im happy to run it through some programs here to test the video itself.

Andrew Hanley

I wouldnt use MS Teams for storage.

Anything that isnt local is going to be a big source of pain for you. If your videos and project are saved anywhere but on a physical local drive in your own computer, then it has the potential to cause some serious problems.

If you are saying that you are using the cloud for this, then Im going to say this is the problem.

Copy the video file for your little 3 slide test, copy it to your local drive, and publish from there.
I guess that if the video file itself isnt corrupted, then this is going to work for you.

If you want to send me any offline messages, just click on my name here in this forum, and you can contact me directly via there.

Happy to help :)