Articulate360 - High Startup Impact

Nov 15, 2016

If I disable Articulate360 Desktop-App and Articulate360 Desktop Service in Windows Startup, will it adversely affect how Articulate360 runs when I use it?

15 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Keith,

Both the desktop app and the desktop service need to be running to access any of the applications, and the desktop app needs to be running to access updates to the applications as well. Also if you launch an application such as Storyline 360 it'll launch the desktop service if not already running (say opening a file sent to you or direct off your desktop). I am not familiar with that Windows setting, so I can't say if it stops the processes completely or just prevents them from launching at start up? 

Chris Soots

Hi Alyssa! I have this question as well. I have a second install on my home PC that I only use on an as-needed basis, and therefore don't need the Articulate 360 desktop app running all the time. I'm happy to launch it before using the suite to check for updates, etc. as I need it. I am aware of how to block the app and service via Windows Startup, but I was hoping there was a more graceful way from within the app itself.

Chris Soots

Thanks, Ashley, for the response!

I understand the need to ensure the most recent updates and would have no issue if the desktop app were auto-launched, as-needed, with each program in the suite (much like game clients do these days). However, in my opinion, there needs to be an option to disable the app auto-start with Windows. It seems a bit bold for Articulate to feel that it deserves the right to do that. This is a sensitive topic for us PC performance enthusiasts today.

Thanks,
Chris Soots | Enterprise Applications Trainer
Office of Financial Management
(O) 360-407-8903

K L

I turned mine off and check for updates from time to time.  Chris, I agree, Articulate should check when the software is open.  I love Articulate and know they are plenty smart enough to engineer a different path to achieve the same results for their customers.  Evidently, we are a select few that has an issue with this setup.

Dany Garcia

Thanks for the responses team, and much like others mentioned, I use it on two different machines (both work issued) and while they are powerful enough machines, I agree with Chris that it is rather bold of Articulate to feel the need to always be launched at startup. I'm a minimalist when it comes to that, and would just look for updates as needed. There are times I use SL daily, then may not use it for 2 weeks. Even an email alert (optional of course) to give us news of major updates would be preferred, as to having it run automatically at startup.

Special Populations

Problem Solved - while I could not get the Startup App to turn off automatic Articulate startup, I was able to do it through Task Manager and it stayed disabled.  Like you other folks, its a great app, but I don't need it to start up automatically when I'm not using it and check for updates on a regular basis. 

Ren Gomez

Hi Matthew,

Sure thing! But as we've mentioned above, keep in mind that it could negatively impact your Articulate 360 experience if you're not prompted/notified about updates.

1. Right-click on an empty area on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.
  2. When Task Manager comes up, click the More button.
  3. Click the Startup tab and look for "Articulate 360 Desktop App" and "Articulate 360 Desktop App Service" through the list of programs that are enabled to run during startup.
  4. To stop them from running, right-click the program and select Disable.
  5. Restart your PC.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.