Challenge 115 - Parallax effect

Jan 30, 2016

I'm trying to work through challenge 115 but have difficult with the parallax effect.  Is there somewhere or someone that could help me.  I tried to look at the build of some of the examples but can't seem to figure out how to get the background to move when I drag the girl walking the dog (see attached).  Or move the background so the girl with the dog moves.

Note that I added a trigger to master slide as it was in one of the examples but not sure why?

Oops - file name sb CH_115....

12 Replies
Daniela Slater

Ok, so I looked at the variable Slider1 and I had 10 and you had 15.  I had 10 because another example I looked at had 10.  But, I'm not sure why that was even there.  Sorry I am a bit behind the 8-ball on this.

Also, the example I got this from had the Masterslider variable equal to 5.00.  Not sure why.  I know I have to dig deeper in the resources but is this a simple explanation you can provide?

My question is, what is making the two sliders move simultaneously?

Daniela Slater

Ok, that makes sense.  But how are both sliders connected to Slider1?

Where do the number settings come from?   Masterslider equal to 5.00.  Why 5.00.  Is that just where the background starts when it is first open?

The default value for masterslider is set at 7?  Slider1 default value is at 15.

How is Slider1 connected.  There is no trigger for it?  Also what was the hidebtn used for?

Sorry, just having trouble seeing what the variables are doing or are used for?  Plus I tried to follow the build from the Mark Bennett demo at the intro of this challenge.   What was the hidebtn used for?

Michael Hinze

The variable connected to a slider can be viewed and changed in the Design tab. I set them both to slider 1 (thought that`s what you wanted to achive).

Like I mentioned, I may have changed the start and end values in your original file, but you can set them to whatever you want or need. They simply determine the scale and granularity of a slider`s movement. I`m not sure what Mark Bennet demo you asre referring to.

Jennifer Sader

I'm also finding the Parallax effect a little challenging. I wanted to have the back layer of snow move more slowly than the front layer, to give that sense of multiple dimensions. What I want is to be able to do operations on the variables (set Slider 2 to Slider 1 divided by 3) but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this in Storyline. I tried to "cheat" by using different-sized sliders but the effect, though pretty, is not quite what I was hoping for. I was trying to figure out a way to do it with variables and triggers and wasn't able to come up with exactly what I wanted.

Thanks in advance. This was such a great challenge, and I want to make it work.

Michael Hinze
Jennifer Sader

Yes, that's exactly the effect I was trying to create. I feel a little embarrassed that it was so simple. I tried that early on but I made the difference too great and it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it may take some trial and error to figure out the appropriate step numbers, but at least you can create the same effect as with variables and triggers. You may have noticed that I removed the two triggers from your original file and it stil works, because now all three sliders are driven by the same slider variable. Let it snow!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.