embed YouTube videos?

Mar 07, 2016

Is there a way to embed a YouTube or Ted Talk video right into  Storyline?

21 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Laurie,

Just to be clear, the tutorial Alexandros gave you deals with how to link to a youtube video, which is different than embedding a video. You need no permission of any kind to link to an object on the web, because you are not making a copy of it. If the owner doesn't want people to see it, they can put restrictions in place where the object is, or take it down.

The embedding that I referenced is making a copy of the object, and physically placing it in your story file. Copyright protection refers to making copies, and if you do that, you must have permission.

Alexandros Anoyatis

For some reason I can't view the url you typed above but this is correct. Technically, you cannot embed via "Insert Video-->from Website" anymore; this is due to changes in Youtube's API.

You can however insert a web object via the "Insert" tab (Insert-->Web Object) and then referencing the embed code : (something like http://www.youtube.com/embed/XxXxXxXx ); that should work fine.

Regarding copyright: I'm no lawyer, therefore not really in a position to offer legal advice, but I don't think this is how copyright law works. If a video is not created by you, it means that someone else owns the copyright on that clip. So I would insist on getting written permission to use the clip, regardless of any third-party ToS or assumptions stemming from features offered by those third parties (in this case, YouTube share/embed policies). What's more, copyright laws differ depending on country or region.

Bruce French

layers innit. If you want a thumbnail/fullscreen effect, put a small video or thumbnail on your page and something to click to make it fullscreen. Set up a layer with the video fullscreen and do a trigger to show that when clicked then a new trigger on that to hide itself when media completes or when clicking a minimise button. 

It's still not ideal as you can't preserve your position between transitions and you can quickly inflate your filesize if you're using a lot of videos but it's workable.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.