Embedding video

Jun 27, 2014

Good Day,

Just wanted to know if there's a way to embed a video into the left side of the template and have the slides play on the main screen? I have several courses to build in which we have the video of the presenter and the slides that they used. I thought it would be nice to have it all in one package versus having to download or print the PPTs while watching the video.

Thanks,

Dean

8 Replies
Candace Wallace

We do this often but have found no fast, simple, or easy way to do it.  I break the video up into segments using camtasia, then export from camtasia using the option to export to multiple files.  I then take each segment of video, place it on the slide and time the slide to the video.  This works well though it can take some time to build.  The problem is that you can not extend the timeline in storyline to match the video length.  You can only create triggers for slide layers up to 1000 seconds.  So if you have an hour long video you need to break it up for it to work.  To make the course play all the way through you just set an auto advance to go to next slide when media finishes and things go very smoothly.  This also allows tracking based on slide count, not just one slide with many layers for the .ppt to appear.  I know this sounds confusing but it does work.

http://essentiallearning.com/CourseResources/Courses/AD-Preview/story.html

Dean Reed

Alaine, on my first "experiment" I converted the video to a .swf file and was able to load it into to logo spot. It actually played very well along with great audio. The down side that I have figured out how to get around is the lack of control. Zip, zero! It just keeps running. Yikes!  

I may just have to do a split screen or break the video up into bit size pieces. My goal is to have the video run and then time the slides to the speaker, but we'll see.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Dean 

Dean Reed

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Thanks Jeremy, I thought as much, but was hoping not to have to go down that path. I just downloaded Replay and can't wait to see what it can do. Thanks Ashley. And Bruce, the logo idea was the first one I tried, but as you can see from my reply to Alaine it's not without it's quarks.  I love a good puzzle!

Regards,

Dean

Graham Betts

I can think of a number of ways you could do this in Storyline.

Personally I never use the Menu on the left instead I always go for a customised which I build. But it is irrelevant.

Do what Jeremy said. Divide the video up into segments correlating with the relevant parts of the PPT. Have the slides automatically move to the next slide on completion of media. Then do the same thing again. As long as the registration point of the video is exactly the same along with the registration point for the PPT slide being the same it would be seamless and for the user they would experience exactly what you were describing. There is no need to time anything. It is automatic as long as you say on completion of the media in the trigger.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.