error message: being used by another process

Jun 30, 2022

I've tried to copy the file to my desktop and open from there and then it tells me something is corrupt. Any ideas of how I can access this course that I've started to build?

4 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Diane,

While I can't make any guarantees about being able to recover your project file, would you be willing to upload a copy of it here or in private by opening a case so we can see if there is a way to recover any content from the file? 

One other thing that you can check is to see if you have a working copy of your project file in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

While we're on the subject, you can also check out this article on how you can reduce the risk of encountering corrupted project files in Storyline 360. 

Diane Nwaefulu

Here's a copy of the file I'm trying to use. I think my mistake was using a network drive as that's where I am used to working off of with our previous course-creation software - will have to change habits on that front. I will start my course creation from scratch but if you can manage to salvage something from here, we'll see if I'm further along than I was with that or not...