Running order on Articulate 360 project

May 10, 2024

Hi,

I have numbered and named all of my slides in storyline, but when I preview it shows them in a different order on the left - so giving the impression that slides have been missed out.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

4 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Short answer: No, there is no fix.

Real answer: There doesn’t need to be a “fix”. The thumbnails are SL’s attempt to do its best to show the flow, and which slides are connected to which. It drives our OCD (or CDO, as it really should be) :) friends crazy. If a slide has a red line coming to the top or side of it, it is in the order. Otherwise, the picture is in no way related to how the learner progresses. 

There are two ways to change the positions of the thumbnails, and I don’t think you want to do either.

If, as you hint, you have all your jump triggers written as “jump to slide [slidename] “(best practice), then changing the triggers and thus the order) is the only way to change the picture.

If you have your triggers as “jump to next slide”, you can easily change the picture. Just drag the slides around. Of course, this changes the order of progression, and your learner goes through the slides in a random order, so I don’t think it is a good idea.

In reality, jumping from a slide to different ones depending on previous actions or conditions (hyper-linking) is good design. To be able to hyper-link is why we use authoring tools like SL. Otherwise, if the progression is set, and always linear, we have a book, or  slideshow.

You’re in charge. If you designed the show, and included all the slides in the order you want, ignore the thumbnails. 

Steve Gannon

Walt, I may be mistaken, but I believe Clare is referring to the list of slides in the Menu tab of the player in the preview/published output.

Clare, if you open Player and then select the Menu properties, you will be able to re-arrange your slides in the numerical order as they appear in Story view. (When you drag slides around in Story view, the order of the slides in the Menu often no longer matches the slide number order in Story view.)