SCORM 1.2 vs SCORM 2004 (4th Edition)

Oct 20, 2021

I have always published in SCORM 1.2 but am now being told that publishing in SCORM 2004 (4th Edition) is the better format.  Is this true?  If so, what is the reasoning?  And do I need to update all my courses to SCORM 2004?

5 Replies
Scott Wiley

Hi Stacy,

The main reason we've moved toward SCORM 2004 was to deal with the limitations of the amount of stored data available within the suspend_data field of SCORM 1.2.

With the way Storyline saves data related to saved states, quiz choices/tries, amount of slides/content, and numerous other factors, some courses can exceed that limit and it can disrupt the functioning of the course.

Aside from that, you should be fine with SCORM 1.2 if the courses are functioning properly today. If you plan on utilizing some of the more advanced features of the later versions of SCORM, or just to follow a more "catch-all" standard in the future, you might consider at least SCORM 2004 3rd Edition, which allows the same amount of data storage and more LMS vendors support it over 4th Edition.

The SCORM specs give the following lengths for the suspend_data element:

SCORM 1.2  -                           4,096 characters
SCORM 2004 2nd Edition  -  4,000 characters
SCORM 2004 3rd Edition  -  64,000 characters
SCORM 2004 4th Edition  -  64,000 characters

For brief high-level info, see A timeline and description of the eLearning standards.

Hope that helps.