Storyline 360's xAPI "Exit Course" trigger not working in BrightSpace. Seeking assistance.

Mar 04, 2021

Hi,

My company uses D2L's BrightSpace platform for its LMS. I am attempting to test xAPI with the platform. The major issue I am experiencing is that the platform does not recognize the "exit course" trigger when executed. I have read the and performed the steps in the article, Storyline: Exit Course Trigger Doesn't Work, dated June 23, 2020 and October 15, 2020. This has not resolved the issue.

A couple of questions:

• Is anyone else using BrightSpace and Storyline 360 xAPI?
  • How have you been able to work around this issue?

Thanks in advance for any with this issue.

5 Replies
Tuck Crocker

Having the same issue with Storyline 360 and Docebo. 

Tested the courseware with SCORMCLOUD and it failed to exit properly.

Docebo reports that the courseware is not "setting the completion trigger" properly.

Have not been able to create a workaround other than re-publishing the courseware as SCORM and (of course) foregoing all of the xAPI features.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Tuck and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

I appreciate you chiming in to share that you are experiencing a similar issue.

Since you are able to reproduce the issue in SCORM Cloud and it's not limited to your LMS, we'd be happy to take a look.

With your permission, please share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Don Griesheimer

Christine,

This is my work around.

• On the last slide (or where you determine that a complete course trigger is appropriate) set a complete course trigger for timeline starts.
  • When publishing:
    • Click on Player
      • Click on "Other" (it's the gear icon)
      • Check Launch player in new window
      • Set other options to suit your needs, I use Browser size:="Resize browser to optimal size"
      • Click "OK"
    • Click on Tracking and ensure that "Using triggers" is checked
    • Click on "Reporting and Tracking"
      • Check "Report to an LMS" and select "xAPI" from drop down
      • Change Launch URL from "index_lms.html" to "launcher.html"
    • Ensure all other information for publishing is correct
    • Click on "Publish"

You will now get an xAPI package that contains a "launcher.html" file. You are able to modify that file before you ZIP, if you wish. I link out to a custom.jpeg with better instructions for the learner to navigate back into the course or to relaunch the package. Then, ZIP package and upload to your LMS.

You package will launch either a new tab or window depending on browser and settings. The exit course trigger will function.