90 Replies
Joshua Kamradt

Not to be rude, but there are 10 posts from "staff" saying they are considering this, in some form.  Is the statement, "We appreciate everyone taking the time to share whats important" just a canned response?  Two years now... I do not *feel* like this is really being given any thought by Articulate.

Joshua Kamradt

I believe that is what they are talking about, @Aly.  

We all just want a way to import SVGs without having to do it through PPT.  The support for SVG is clearly there... we just want to make the use of it much more efficient and convenient.  Repeated Feature Requests have been either deemed as unnecessary, or unimportant, since nothing has been addressed beyond the, "Thank you for your input."

Articulate is an awesome software suite, and I have no plans to abandon it, but it would be really nice if they would just give us some of the features we have been requesting for years now.

Aly Summers

It does convert them to PNGs but for whatever reason it works when regular PNGs don't. I have no idea why this is the case.

I import PNG's that are high resolution, and they appear blurry in the course when scaled in various browsers - even when not scaled in Chrome. When I jump through the crazy SVG/PPT hoops, even though it converts them to PNGs in Storyline, they scale just fine and appear crystal clear. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luke Geach

It has been over two years since the original post, the only real solution I have found is to build any course that heavily uses SVG's in captivate instead, as that has had support for some time. You can even edit colours and sizes on the fly of SVG's within a course.

Articulate really need to address this as I am less and less turning to their toolset.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Mikael and Luke,

We took a step in the direction to fill this need with the following ability:

Importing SVG Images from PowerPoint

The ability to natively use SVGs in Storyline is still a feature that we are tracking and this conversation is linked to the report so that we can share updates with you here.

Mikael Sundberg

When do you think it works to import native? We will start a 3 year project. I want to use Storyline 360 but the project requires us to import lots of SVG files. Solving it via PowerPoint would be time consuming. If I understand correctly, do colors change when we import from PowerPoint to SL360?

Is there no other way to import vector images so they keep in quality?

T P

I am experiencing the same issue as Dave. Many SVG components do not display at all after importing them from a PowerPoint. If they do end up displaying, many times it looks something like this. The only way I am able to import an SVG from PowerPoint into Articulate 360 Storyline is if the SVG is only using one layer and solid colours (no gradients). This makes importing SVG files from PowerPoint to Storyline much less valuable as it stands now.

SVG image in PowerPoint vs. Articulate 360 Storyline

Diarmaid Collins
Tyler P

I am experiencing the same issue as Dave. Many SVG components do not display at all after importing them from a PowerPoint. If they do end up displaying, many times it looks something like this. The only way I am able to import an SVG from PowerPoint into Articulate 360 Storyline is if the SVG is only using one layer and solid colours (no gradients). This makes importing SVG files from PowerPoint to Storyline much less valuable as it stands now.

SVG image in PowerPoint vs. Articulate 360 Storyline

Hi Tyler,

I know exactly how frustrating SVG import is, but I have kind of gritted my teeth and adapted it for my projects and I guess it's probably a change in mindset that is needed in order to 'make it work'.

What you are seeing right there is exactly what I get - whatever lovely coloured SVG shapes that I have exported from Illustrator into Powerpoint (and look perfect in PPT) are then rendered as flat white shapes (or whatever the default on the project is) upon initial import into SL360.

It's not ideal but it is what it is. I guess the change in perception thing come from trying not to expect to get exactly what you required, but rather realise that you now have the shape 'information' successfully imported. You can recreate all the fill and stroke information within Storyline.

It's a pain, I know, and if Storyline was also able to import Adobe ASE files (colour swatches) and/or allow us to save bespoke gradients, etc, easily, then the process would be a lot more manageable.

Kevin Mahaney

Another 8 months have been added to the years... and still nothing.

I also find it insulting to my intelligence as a designer  to call it "Importing SVGs from Powerpoint", as you are absolutely NOT importing the SVG, you are converting the SVG to a raster image. Which is patently unacceptable in the design world.

To add to that, if all the people that have posted workarounds would stop calling them "shapes", that'd be great. Because "shapes" implies they are vector shapes, as the default shapes within SL are. After trying all the multiple ways I've found people suggest to get their vector shapes into SL, all I'm left with are raster images, not vector shapes. Furthermore, depending on the technique, you may or may not retain transparency. So instead of a triangle covering half the stage, I get a full-stage image that is half triangle, half white (where the transparency was.) How ANYONE has found this acceptable to this point is beyond me. Each passing day brings yet another example of frustration when it comes to basic features not included in SL. No one is asking for anything over the top. Just the same basic features that almost every other design app includes in their "beginner level" features. And yet, not even the decency of an explanation as to why these requests are simply rejected, year after year.

T P

Hey Kevin. I agree that it is still not easy to import vector assets into Storyline, but it is possible. I've noticed that if I export a SVG shape from Illustrator that contains a clipping mask, or if the shape uses groups or layers in Illustrator, then it will look fine when imported into PowerPoint, but will convert to a raster image if you import that PowerPoint into Storyline. The key is to only import single vector (SVG) shapes into PowerPoint then into Storyline. Once the shape is in Storyline you will notice that it is a vector shape graphic not an image. Then you can add colours and gradients the same way you would to any other shape in Storyline.

It's really painful to do, but not impossible. I think this should be something Articulate should focus on more. There are definitely people that have been wanting to see this in Storyline for years.

I've created a rough guide that I shared with my team on how to import SVG shapes from Adobe Illustrator to PowerPoint to Articulate Storyline. Articulate's resource that they have on the webpage about Importing SVG files is missing some crucial information. Hopefully this helps somebody:

Illustrator Notes:

1. Saving SVG files from Illustrator that contain more than one shape at a time often leads to issues when trying to bring into Storyline. To avoid this, only save one shape in Illustrator as an SVG at a time.
  2. Remove any gradients from the shapes that you plan to import into Articulate
  3. Check the layers. Make sure that there are no clipping masks, or groupings. The vector shape should be the only thing in a layer. So if you check your layers inside of Illustrator, it should be something like this: “Layer 1” —> “Component Path”. And not “Layer 1” —> “Clip Group” —> “Group” —> “Component Path”.
  4. Export the shape as an SVG

Instructions to import an SVG graphic into PowerPoint for Windows:

1. Open PowerPoint on Windows (You need PowerPoint 2016, PowerPoint 2019, or Office 365. Earlier versions of PowerPoint don’t support SVGs.)
  2. Create a new blank presentation, delete title and text placeholders
  3. Go to Insert > Pictures > This Device, and find the SVG shape you exported from Illustrator
  4. Do NOT right click on the SVG and select “Convert to Shape” in PowerPoint. This will result in a png image when imported into Articulate
  5. You MAY have to change the SVG fill colour inside of PowerPoint in order for Articulate to recognize it. But if you did this in Illustrator it should work.
  6. Save your PowerPoint with a SINGLE vector SVG shape inserted into it. Sometimes multiple shapes work, but I’ve had problems with this.

Importing PowerPoint into Storyline:

1. Create a new Storyline project, and import from PowerPoint.
  2. Check to see if the vector/SVG shape is now available on the slide. If it worked, it will show the layer as a “Freeform” graphic. If it says anything other than that, then something had not been prepped properly, and it hasn’t been imported as a vector. Go back and review.
  3. The aspect ratio will have changed after the vector is imported into Storyline. To correct this, open the original SVG in Illustrator to reference the width and height (Window —> Info panel) to get the correct dimensions and use those dimensions in Storyline. Once the aspect ratio is corrected, click on “Lock aspect ratio” in Storyline.
  4. You can now copy and paste this vector graphic from your storyline slide into your main Storyline Project.

The problem I'm running into now is dealing with a very slow and laggy Storyline project file because I've imported around 50 vector objects on a slide in order to build something that requires many layers. Might be something to keep in mind.