What's on the Horizon? Seeking a Roadmap for Storyline 360 and Rise 360's AI Features?

Oct 06, 2023

As the eLearning landscape continues to evolve, I've noticed the increasing integration of artificial intelligence (AI) in various platforms and tools. This has piqued my interest in understanding how Articulate plans to leverage AI within Storyline, especially to enhance user experience and course effectiveness. I know about text-to-speech update in storyline.

I was wondering if anyone in the community has insight or information regarding the roadmap for AI features in Storyline. Specifically:

1. Are there any upcoming AI-driven functionalities we should be excited about?
  2. How does Articulate envision the role of AI in shaping the future of eLearning and, more precisely, within Storyline?
  3. Are there any resources or webinars that touch upon this topic?

I believe that the blend of AI with instructional design could unlock tremendous potential, and I'm eager to see how Storyline plans to be a part of this journey.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and insights!

11 Replies
Pierre Sosa

I'm usually pretty excited about embracing new technology and using creativity, but I am struggling to see how to use AI in instructional design. I think the most powerful part is being able to conquer the "formative assessment" part of training, and being able to cater the training to the users' needs. Like a lot of education trends, however, which organization is going to accept that a learner already knows ABC, and only needs training on XYZ? That kind of permissiveness is so far above my paygrade as an instructional designer.

Pierre Sosa

Also, I absolutely do not want to consider that we are all just going to source our photos and writing from some generative machine. Those are my favorite parts of this career. I presume that in 10 years, ID and EdDevelopment runs the risk of just having a manager say to AI "I need a training on soft skils", and some low-tier monstrosity will be generated; and nobody will care. Care comes from designers who don't want to insult their learners.

Digitale media

@Pierre, I don't believe AI will take our place in designing learning solutions, but I do think it will be able to help us create new solutions and support us in this proces.
a lot of developers use AI for example to check their code, to write code based on their instructions or to automate recurring tasks.
Generative AI could also help creating simpel mock-ups to start with.

I think this could be helpful for learning developers as well. So I'm curious to the ideas, views and experiments by Articulates development team as well. 

Brenda Sims

I too am very interested in the integration of AI in Storyline. I can see this helping with developing initial outlines, content, tone, quiz questions, etc. Saving the ID time and providing the ability to provide more completed courses for our workforce.

I viewed the video about Articulate AI, which was very helpful in seeing its use in Rise 360 blocks. But, is there any word or development in its use within Storyline? We tend to rely on Storyline versus Rise for many of our courses as we incorporate a lot of audio throughout the entire course, which can be tedious and very time consuming in Rise. Thanks and I sure hope AI is on the discussion table for Storyline as I love all the enhancements that have come out this year!!

Robbi James

I'm very excited about AI prospects in IDD - not only for the reasons @Digitale media mentions below, but for its time-saving and customization opportunities. I'm already using it to draft outlines for content ("ChatGPT, create a 30-slide presentation on managing problem performance in an [industry] environment including consideration for [known strategies, terms, etc.]...") which has proven to be VERY effective. It doesn't write the content, but it creates an outline with a title and several bullets on each slide. It's usually got a very logical flow and often includes topics that I may not have considered as well as terms I may not have heard, which allows me to shorten my research window and draft more robust content, faster.

I've also saved HOURS by creating custom AI images. I could look forever in my asset libraries for an image depicting a lumber truck dangling off the side of a highway - or I could go to Fotor and tell it what I want, and it'll create several custom images for me to choose from. It's all about your ability to describe what you need.

But I don't think we'll ever get to the point where AI writes completely accurate and cogent content - because at the end of the day AI is just distilling what it finds on the internet. And we all know that anybody can post anything on the internet. ;) It'll always require a human to separate the wheat from the chaff.

William Tempest

Really interesting discussion. I can't add much more than has already been posted, as I've only really started to tentatively explore some of the tools available.

It makes sense to me that Articulate are bringing AI features into Rise first, but as we primarily use Storyline I am really interested to know what is being planned in this application as well.

Keith Padgett

@Pierre. I think AI will reduce the need for generalized content writing on topics that have broad applications. That is already true without AI with the number of courses available across the internet. I think AI will allow learning professionals to focus more on company specific needs. For example, I can create a general course on market orientation using AI or use one that is already created. Then, I have more time to create a specific next level market orientation course on how my company approaches the topic. It will allow me to create more practice activities for learners because I'll spend less time creating content. With the new features that Rise 360 will have I will be able to outline my content and upload it to build the course. Then I'll create more application-based activities to help learners use the material. AI will also help with QRG's and JIT because it reduces the time to build content. I don't think AI will reduce the need for learning professionals to address company specific problems. For example, if my employees aren't doing something correctly that is specific to my company (entering tickets, doing performance appraisals well, explaining our specific software the right way) AI can't write the content for that. It will reduce the building time for some of that though so it can be addressed faster. That's my take so far. 

Michael Steckman

+1
@Luciana Piazza (and al Articulate teammates)

I attended your webinar this winter, touting Rise 360's new AI features (which looked really cool and quite promising), and at the time your presenter and the leader for the AI initiative said the general public could begin accessing it in March. We're now a third of the way through April and the only Google results I get are multiple posts where your customers have been and are still asking for a release timeframe, with no answer to any of them.  :(

Articulate is usually terrific in its customer response and has an enthusiastic user community, so I hope you won't let us down -- updates and new information, please!!!