Aspect Ratio

Mar 25, 2019

Hey All -

I've been designing in 360 for a couple of months now in the default 4:3.  I am curious what others would say about the pros/ cons of designing in one aspect ratio over another.  Any input would be helpful to bring back to my team. I don't personally have a preference, but am curious as to which AR other design in and why they do. I believe in the near term, most users will be accessing our learning on PC.

Thanks,

Peter

5 Replies
Daniel Brigham

Hi, Peter: Most things seem to be moving to 16:9, at least for standard online modules. I think 4:3 gives one more flexibility setting images/video and text on-screen, however. 16:9 is too wide for setting just one image, in my opinion, unless you fill the whole damn space with it, which gets old quick. And if you don't have a lot of text to go with multiple images you get a lot of white/blank space at the bottom of slides, which can look a little wonky. Of course, 16:9 intimates the cinema which people like. 16:9 is also good for video-based learning.

Perhaps with saving manual transmissions in cars, we should save 4:3 aspect ratio?  

Allen Wong

When I first started in e-learning in 2012, our go to was 980px by 580px. They had discovered that it gave the most room without having to scroll using the older monitors. Now it's definitely moving to wide screen. I've always done it based on what the user is going to use it on (laptop, desktop, tablet). So until the recent years I've always done the size I mentioned but now have shifted to 16:9.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.