Ideas for building abbreviation game quickly

Aug 11, 2015

I want to build a game for learners to practice abbreviating certain words. I want a word to show on the screen and the learner has to type the correct abbreviation before the word disappears. The goal of the game would be to abbreviate as many words as possible before the timer runs out. Then they will see their score. The challenge is, I need to create this lightning fast. Any ideas for how to build this quickly? (I thought I'd check with the community before I try to reinvent the wheel.)

6 Replies
Holly Peters

Thanks, Kamil!  I'm on the right track then.

Here's what I have so far:

1. The slide shows a word.
  2. The learner clicks inside the answer text box and types the abbreviation.
  3. When they submit their answer (either by hitting return or clicking submit), the correct/incorrect layer shows.
  4. The correct layer shows "correct" in green text, the incorrect layer shows the correct answer in red text.
  5. Both feedback layers fade out in 1 second and when the timeline ends, the quiz jumps to the next question (next slide).
  6. If the learner doesn't type an answer the quiz jumps to the next question in 5 seconds.
  7. I put all the questions into a bank so they are randomized. Learners can play the game multiple times to increase their speed.

Next, I want to:

• Add a timer so the learner can try to do as many questions as they can before the timer ends; and
  • Create a results slide showing their "score" which is just the number of how many questions they answered correctly

I'd love to hear any additional feedback you have.

Kamil Nowek

You did nice job :) if your slide with question is text entry free form, you can set 1 point for correct answer. If not, just create variable "score" and when timeline with correct anwer starts, make this variable ++. Then you should add result slide and set timer for this question bank, if you want to have standard timer available in SL. If not, it's more difficult and of course possible :)

Holly Peters

@Bob S: thanks for the idea. The desired behavior for the learner is for them to actually type the abbreviations fast so I'd like to keep the quiz as close to that as possible.

@Kamil: i start by setting the point to 1. do you know if there's a way to make the standard timer a larger font? I couldn't figure out how to do that in the player settings.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.