Linking to multiple Rise sites within a single SCORM

Feb 14, 2021

We've created a Rise website that will be translated into 7 other languages. Normally, we'd publish each of these Rise sites as separate SCROM files to be loaded to the LMS. However, the client wants all the sites to be packaged in just one SCORM file.

Background: We initially proposed creating a simple landing page (in either Storyline or Rise) with a menu that links to each of the individual Rise sites. The client would load those individual Rise files to the LMS, then provide us with URLs linking to them so we can insert them into the links on the landing page. The client sees this as a potential maintenance nightmare - hence their requirement for a single SCORM file.

One less elegant option is to put the content in all the languages in a single Rise file. The resulting file would be extremely large. It would also be impossible to track completion as an English-speaking user would only look at the English lessons and a Japanese-speaking user would only look at the Japanese lessons. 

Does anyone have any suggestions how to create a better learner experience within a single SCORM file?

7 Replies
Lea Agato

Hi Greg! I understand you're trying to create a Rise course with multiple languages using a single SCORM file.  

The options you shared are both great solutions for building a multi-language course in Rise.  If you need your course to be in a single SCORM file and track completion, I recommend using Storyline to create your course.  You can check out this article for details on how to create multi-language courses in Storyline.

I also encourage other members of the community to share solutions for handling multi-language courses in Rise!  

Greg Kozdrowski

Thanks Lea. Unfortunately, the client is committed to using Rise (for speed of creation and overall ease of use), so Storyline isn't an option here. 

I did find this article on creating a consolidated package of SCORM files, but I'm not sure that the result will give us the level of tracking the client is looking for. We're working on it now to see if this approach might work.

2Training Loan

Curious about the the potential progress here, 

I fully agree, It is a real problem with handling  translation files. Then multiplied with number of courses..

Maybe the articulate R&D people can find an elegant solution to this problem?

And while they are doing that, have a go at revising the Course dashboard which is in desperate need of rethink when the number of courses handled as an admin account and backup for others keep growing fast. Today it is barely manageable. The problem just grows.

Greg Kozdrowski

Unfortunately, no progress to report on this front. In the end, our client ended up loading each Rise site as separate SCORM files - not their preferred option, but the only one that would give them the ease of use and the ability to track completion. So it really would be nice if Articulate could find a way to address this.

On a related note, we also encountered a number of formatting issues with Japanese language Rise sites (e.g., characters don't wrap properly within a text box - the text continued to flow outside the box.)

And I completely agree about the course dashboard. It needs a major overhaul as it is unmanageable when you have many courses. At the very least, you should be able to archive completed sites so they no longer clutter up the main dashboard.

Chino Navarro

Hi folks, thank you for sharing your insight into managing a single course with multiple language translations. I shared this with the team, and if we make any changes that could help, I will let you know.

I also mentioned revising the course dashboard. What kind of changes do you folks want to see in the dashboard?

Greg, for your issue with the Japanese text, does it only happen to a specific text block? Have you tried using a different browser such as Google Chrome? What device are you using?

Chino Navarro

Hi folks, thank you for sharing your insight into managing a single course with multiple language translations. I shared this with the team, and if we make any changes that could help, I will let you know.

I also mentioned revising the course dashboard. What kind of changes do you folks want to see in the dashboard?

Greg, for your issue with the Japanese text, does it only happen to a specific text block? Have you tried using a different browser such as Google Chrome? What device are you using?

2Training Loan

Regarding the Rise dashboard.
We need to be able to build folder systems Or tag files so they can belong together and show up in searches  together. We need import and export/backup courses . Syncing online/offline.

In general there is one original source in english and then we need to add copies that are other languages. Once that multiplies in amount of courses and course files, not to mention updates with no versioning system, the pain is felt. 

Suggest you build your own test site on an account. minimum 40 courses in 8 languages as a starting point. Also keep in mind that if there is one update in the original all the other files needs updating to. 

While your at it, imagine that i a couple of month after initial launch, the source files for what ever reason gets corrupted. No backup files offline. Course destroyed.
Total of hundreds of manhours with all people involved. High level people in R&D and others in product management etc.. has acted as subject matter experts and put many hours into the course development. In one course. Now multiply that risk with at least 40 courses.
We are not asking for editable backups ( an actual file with story type format)  off line without a reason.

No imagine if branding changes - and we have to take each and every course and change the branding... Central branding capability in teams account please.

The list of enhancements and new feature requests for Rise especially is quite long. To start with the basic  features in Storyline, minus the programing and layers is where you can find Rise development potential all day long. 

Im hoping that this and next year will give further clear incentives to why the price model is an subscription.