Rise 360: Free/unrestricted navigation with restricted quiz?

Sep 17, 2021

Hello! I have a course with several lessons and a quiz at the end. I would like users to be able to navigate freely through the lessons but not be able to start the quiz until they have gone through all of the lessons. Users have to pass the quiz for a grade, but they are allowed to take the quiz as many times as needed. I would prefer to let them choose their navigational path, but I don't want them to be able to simply skip all the content and just take the quiz until they pass it. Is there a way to set this up? 

There are too many lessons to use a button stack instead of the sidebar for navigation. I'm aware of using the Continue button to force users to complete an interaction before moving on, but I can't see if/how to make that work for this request.

Thank you in advance. I'm sure this has been asked but can't find anything that quite answers it in the discussion archive. 

5 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi Anne!

Happy to help. I can suggest adding continue button after the last lesson in your course and set that to Complete All Blocks Above. More information on Continue Blocks can be found here.

Once you've done that, add your quiz after the Continue button. That way, they can navigate the lessons above the quiz freely and the Continue button gets enabled once they have finished all the lessons.

Hope this helps!

Office of Academic Support and Instructional Services

Thank you, Hazel! The Continue (w/ complete all blocks above) on the prior lesson doesn't stop a user from just going to the Quiz lesson in the sidebar and bypassing any (or all) previous lessons. If I set the sidebar to closed, then there's no way to navigate between the lessons except in a linear order (unless I add button stack navigation, which I want to avoid, as I have so many lessons). Am I missing something in the set-up?  

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Anne!

You are right. It will still ask learners to navigate through the lessons in sequence. I am sorry, but the suggestion I gave won't work for what you need to accomplish.  Rise cannot restrict access to just one block,  and I know you mentioned there are too many lessons for you to use a button stack. I wish I had a better recommendation for you.  If we make changes in the future in restricting access to individual blocks/lessons, we'll make sure to update this post.