Rise progress buttons can be clicked to show as completed

Jan 25, 2017

Hi

I have just uploaded my first Rise course to our LMS system for testing. I have kept the navigation unlocked throughout the course but this means that the learner can just click on the left hand progress tick buttons for each lesson to show them as complete without actually reading through any content within the course.

Is there a way to fix this other than making the whole course with restricted navigation?

I was hoping to keep the course navigation open so that the learner could choose which lesson to dip into.

Many thanks

9 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alena, 

Thanks for reaching out here and sharing that. I see the behavior you're mentioning in that it doesn't navigate you to that page either, but just marks it as checked off. I'm going to have our team look into this and I'll be able to share an update with you here once they've been able to investigate it. 

Currently you'd need to have the course set as restricted or advise them to click on the title in the menu vs. the greyed out circle where the checkmark will appear.  Clicking on the title in the menu will bring you to that page and then the user can scroll through the content to be marked as complete. 

Hi Alena,

I talked to one of the Rise Developers earlier today and this is expected based on using the Free navigation. In theory if a user were to access the course and determine that they didn't need to read the lesson content they'll be able to check off those items as "Completed" and this will apply to all the lessons except a quiz. That one won't allow for the check mark to appear until they actually take the quiz. 

I recorded a quick video in Peek to showcase how this will look and work. The team will look at an option or change to the behavior for when you click on the circle to  mark as complete and take you to that page, but I don't have any additional insight regarding if and when that would be implemented so you'll want to keep the other ideas in mind as you develop your Rise course. 

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for checking in - we haven't released any changes to this yet, but if you take a look at the Peek video I shared before the user can click on the title of each lesson or block vs. where the checkmark would appear and that won't mark it as completed. It's only the clicking on the circle/checkmark location that would cause it to show as completed without taking the user there. 

So far I haven't seen a lot of other feedback about this in terms of users inadvertently clicking or tapping in the circle/checkmark section. Is this something you've run into? 

Alena Ayers

Hi Ashley - we agree with Peter. We are experiencing this issue with clients. They are ticking on the circle and not reading the content. This is forcing us to lock the navigation which is not what we want - we would prefer the learner to view the course in any order they choose. Have the team thought any more about changing the behaviour for when you click on the circle so that it takes the learner to that lesson rather than marking the circle as complete? Many thanks.

Ali Goulet

Hey All! Just popping in with an exciting update here. As of today, Rise offers the option to allow learners to mark lessons complete. Check out the details over here.

Going forward, this feature is turned off so learners can't mark lessons complete. If you’ve previously exported a Rise course, be sure to turn off the lesson completion feature as described in the article and export your course again to take advantage of this new feature!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.