SCORM issues in Rise?

Dec 01, 2021

Finishing a compliance campaign - we had hundreds of people that had issues with content not marked as complete. The campaign run on 2 different LMS', so it doesn't seem to be an LMS issue.
Some people had an issue with 1 item, some with more.
Some took it a few times and still did not mark them as complated. 
Some were working at the offices, others from home. 
Testing went well, but when sending it to thousands of employees - you always get more issues. 

This year - preparing to go mobile next year - we moved almost all content from SL to Rise. 
First big initiative we're running using Rise. This is very worrying. 
I'm thinking of scrapping Rise' SCORM altogether and using other tools. 

How did big Rise SCORM campaigns of thousands or tens of thousands work for you?   

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Efrat,

I'm sorry to hear you're hitting some roadblocks in your first big initiative using Rise 360. You mentioned the primary issue is learners aren't being marked complete after finishing their courses. Can you tell me a little more about that?

1. How are you tracking completion -- percent viewed or quiz score?
  2. What happens when the learner reopens the course? Does it pick up where they left off?
  3. Does the course contain an Exit Course button?
Efrat Maor

Thanks Alyssa, 

Since we need the employees to to acknowledge in the end, we have an embedded SL in which there is a question - answering it - makes you pass with 100%. So it is scored. 
If there was an option to have a question defined as SCORM tracking, instead of a full quiz in a separate section - we would have used that.  
Even a button that clicking on it would mean "I agree/I acknowledge" would have been fine, No such options on Rise. 
These are short elearnings, we're not talking about a person who left in the middle. And since the passing score is defined in the end, even if they come back - functionality options in Rise are very limited - it doesn't really matter if they came back/resumed or not. 

And yes, we have a Close button.
But we tested, and Complete status is sent to the LMS once the question is submitted before the Close button appears. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Efrat,

Would an alternative like combining a checkbox block with a continue button work? The checkbox could serve as an acknowledgement. And, you can lock the continue button so that they can't continue unless the checkbox is checked. You could finish up with some text that the course is over. This method would replace having a quiz or a Storyline block.

If that makes it simpler and avoids completion issues, let me know!