Using an Xliff to make mass updates

Dec 19, 2022

Hi everyone,

My organization is looking for a scalable way to make mass updates to Rise 360 courses. In particular, we need to easily identify and replace specific terms in our Rise courses to align with product updates. I've tried exporting an English Xliff file, making the term updates in the Xliff, and re-importing the Xliff file. Upon re-importing the Xliff file, I see a "Import successful" message but I don't actually see my text changes reflected in the course.

Any idea why the text edits aren't showing up?

1 Reply
Thor Melicher

My hunch is that you're making the updates in the <source> tags and you're missing <target> tags which is where you put in the translation (or as in your case, the replacements you want to make).

A simple explanation to get what you want is :

1. Copy from <source> to </source> where you are planning on changing the text.
2. Paste it immediately after </source>.
3. Change the copied <source> and </source> tags to <target> and </target>.
4. Change the text in the newly created <target></target> section.
5. Save the file and then import the updated XLIFF file.

As you can guess, this will be a slow process and will likely be frustrating as it can be difficult to track down errors that will inevitably come up along the way.

I did create a solution that makes this a lot easier so you can do your work in Excel rather than having to edit XLIFFs by hand for Rise 360 courses.

Feel free to reach out to me via a direct message or via LinkedIn if you would like more information.

Thor