Can Articulate Stuido 09 work with Mac version of Powerpoint?

Mar 15, 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if Presenter can be used with the Mac version of Powerpoint?  I am running windows through Parallels on my mac.  

I just downloaded the free trial of Articulate Studio and when clicking on the .exe for Presenter a error message pops up "navigation to website was cancelled - What you can try, Retype the address".  this is in a window that does not have a url or even a text area to retype one into.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight

12 Replies
John Kostrey

Hey Peter,

Thank you for the quick response and the welcome too.  I followed the tips and tricks and am currently having no troubles working on parallels.  What I was trying to do was use Mac Powerpoint 08 instead of Powerpoint 07 on the windows side... don't really need it, will stick with Windows Powerpoint 07.  

Have a great rest of your day, and thanks again.

John

John Kostrey

I will take the blame for this one, I was not very... articulate while describing my problem. It was goofy of me to think it would somehow run on the Mac version of Powerpoint anyway, clearly I need some sleep.  Also just noticed in the title I wrote Articulate "Stuido"... whoops  This website seems like a great resource and after putting more thought into future questions, I will be sure to use it again.  thanks

Tommaso Palmitesta

I am considering buying a Mac and from what I have been reading so far, the only way to use Articulate Studio is via Parallels. I suppose this also means I must use my Ppt 2010 software on the Windows side of the Mac. I figure that if I prepare all my slides with Ppt 2011 on the Mac side I will have to convert them to Ppt 2010 on the Windows side to be able to use Presenter et all. Am I right? Anybody with experience with this?  Thanks

Tommaso Palmitesta

Thanks Leah, now I feel more confident.

Maybe you can comment about  this claim by Parallels Desktop :

"Setting up Parallels Desktop for Mac is easy. Bring all your PC programs, documents, photos, music and browser bookmarks to your Mac, then run them all like they were made for your Mac. It’s the best of both worlds on one desktop — without rebooting".

Does this mean that I can run my Windows software on a Mac or just on the Parallels side?

Jill McNair

Hi Tommaso,

Parallels lets you run both Windows and Mac operating systems at the same time - but Windows programs are still running in Windows, and Mac on iOS.  You'll be able to see, launch and work with any of your Windows programs from your Mac screen.  

I've installed their free Kaspersky Tools (not sure I spelled that correctly), which lets me use the "Coherence Mode" - this really makes you think that you are running everything on your Mac - Windows programs show up in your Dock.

Tommaso Palmitesta

Hi Jill, thanks for clarifying that point. But now I I am wondering about those free Kaspersky Tools and the "coherence mode". As far as I know Kaspersky only sell antivirus tools. Could you explain in more detail how do you use the coherence mode and where can I get more information on those free tools?

Thanks

Jill McNair

Tomasso,

Phil is right, I wrote that from faulty memory - what I installed was the "Parallels Tools," which is listed just above the Kaspersky option on Parallels>Virtual machine menu.  Oops, please forgive me causing the confusion.

Now, let me see if I can redeem myself and clear this up.  The best way to understand is to look at my desktop both ways.

Here is how Parallels looks when you open it in what I am calling "Normal" mode - not sure what the official name is:

• Everything having to do with Windows is contained in one window. 
  • You can see/interact with your Windows desktop

Now if I click on Parallels>View>Enter Coherence, my desktop looks like this: 

• Each Windows program shows up in its own window.
  • You cannot see your Windows Desktop and must access Windows programs via the Windows Start menu
  • All open Windows programs show in the Mac Dock with a red Parallels icon added to it

There are probably more differences between the two modes, but these are the ones that are most obvious to me.  

You just have to try out both ways and see which one you like the best.  I hope this clears it up.

Jill

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.