ideas for decision tree content design

Nov 13, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am looking for ideas on how to make relatively boring content more interesting.  My client has created a decision tree flowchart for health care professionals (excerpt attached).  The content and concept is very useful, but rather dry.  I am looking design ideas on how to make it more interesting, engaging, etc.

If anyone has created something that addresses this, or has seen something that could be useful, it would be appreciated.

Greg WIlliams

15 Replies
Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Greg,

Just took a quick peek, and am thinking that the flowchart already has you well on your way to set up branching scenarios.

But rather than simple: if they click yes they'll arrive here no will jump here

so instead

Create scenarios based on real-life where when clinicians (sorry if it's the wrong word) DID make a choice it went wrong, why it went wrong, how to adjust / correct.

Allowing Learners to make the choices and make mistakes and get feedback - but again, based on real-life - provides a great learning opportunity. Here's a blog post that I came across a while back that says it well.

Speaking of which, Tom Kuhlmann's blog post Build Branched E-Learning Scenarios in Thee Simple Steps is another great resource

Sarah Redmond

Hi greg,

I think this would be really interesting in a conversational style, so they diagnose as they go. Have a look at branchtrack.com for some ideas which are easily repeatable in Storyline to get a patient backstory. You can do animations or video of patients to show different questions, ie show a video of a recovering patient attempting to walk and ask "is this patient a good candidate for HKAFO algorithm?" then a branched question based on their response (as simple as multiple choice or as complex as an essay type question) which together form the diagnosis. You can then determine if the two parts of the diagnosis are correct and move them forward. If not, refer them to reference materials...

Laura M

Rebecca, that blog post was really helpful!  I hadn't thought about working with the SME to create scenario flowcharts for each outcome before.  We've been so focused on the negative and what we need to correct that it will be refreshing to speak with her about the success stories and how they made it going about things the "right" way.  (Clearly, I'm new to this whole thing!)  I'm hoping to use this for my next meeting tomorrow

Lisa Hagar

Greg I had a course similar to yours where Ihad a decision model to follow...so I created a branching scenario course.  It was for the medical profession and all I did was create a real emergency room situation when a patient comes in with certain symptoms and then how would the medical professional diagnose and treat the patient.  The design was for them to guide themselves through their decisions or choices...results were life and death type of a situation...so if they diagnosed improperly they could easily have a fatal incident... Pretty heavy, but necessary.,,, no sleeper in this course...... also with the help of the SME I created job-aids  and flow charts to follow  to help make the decisions easier...

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.